Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If you are genius enough

1. Jun 23, 2014 #1
    Hello
    Sometimes I want to invent a new theory just as Newton invented calculus
    I use wide imagination and organized thinking
    For 4 years, I didn't invent any thing mathematically correct
    Can any one tell me how to invent a mathematical theory?
    Are there any resources on the internet?
    Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2014 #2
    To modify a quote from Newton:
    First find a suitable giant on whose shoulders to stand.

4. Jun 23, 2014 #3
    It's a noble goal. I'd say don't lose it, even if it evolves to something a little less glamorous sounding.

Remember that "necessity is the mother of invention." If you want to "invent" (not just discover) something new, there has to be a need for it. Newton invented calculus because he needed it to deal with questions in physics.

-Dave K

5. Jun 25, 2014 #4
    I don't get the point of wanting to discovering something new. The contemporary obsession for "new ideas" is creating monsters in a lot of fields. A discovery should just happen.

6. Jun 25, 2014 #5
    I'm not trying to make you sound ridiculous, but you basically said it's OK to discover something, so long as it's not new, and it should happen by accident!

I'm sure you mean something else.

If I try to read into this, probably what you mean to say is that we shouldn't be trying to make "new for the sake of new" but we should be discovering things because they suit some existing need or purpose. If that's what you mean, I agree, sort of.

Though I think it's wrong to quash somebody's dream of making a new discovery. Maybe that doesn't ultimately mean what he thinks it means, but if that early impulse is a driving force to learn and study and discover something then it should be encouraged.

Science is *all* about discovering new things, even in the tiny little nooks and crannies of inquiry.

-Dave K

7. Jun 25, 2014 #6
    Inventing math is pretty easy. Inventing math that no one else has before just requires you to get...weird.

8. Jun 25, 2014 #7

interhacker

Gold Member

Unless you're Ramanujan, I think it's better to get at least a bachelor's degree in mathematics or a related field first (assuming you don't have one already).

9. Jun 25, 2014 #8

interhacker

Gold Member

Even I, a layman, care about the solution of the Riemann hypothesis, and I'm pretty sure professional mathematicians working in the field care far more.

Secondly, in spite of the fact that Perelman refused the fields medal and the Millennium prize because he "didn't want to be treated like an animal in a Zoo ", I find that analogy somewhat flawed.

There's a difference between being put on exhibition for other people's entertainment and being celebrated for an amazing achievement one has done.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2014
  10. Jun 25, 2014 #9
    Being a genius is only a small part of making discoveries in my opinion.

11. Jun 25, 2014 #10
    Besides, even if "no one cares", solving this problem contributes greatly to the mass of human knowledge. People care about the Riemann hypothesis not because "people care about it", but because it's an important problem.

I respect Perelman as a mathematician of course, but I think all the drama about not wanting to be treated like an animal was kind of silly and his decision to not take the money was extremely privileged. There are a lot of people who can't afford to not take money.

12. Jun 26, 2014 #11
    Lots of cynicism here and people that want to tell it like it is. I get that.

But I respect the spirit of the original poster's wish, and I still would encourage it.

My advice is pretty much the same:
    1) Study lots of math (and probably science too, for scientists often need math that doesn't exist yet)
    2) Find a need, and fill in the gap.

13. Jun 26, 2014 #12

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Always nice to see when people have chosen a suitable handle for themselves

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2014
  14. Jun 26, 2014 #13
    I'd say it's almost no part of it.

15. Jun 26, 2014 #14
    Yep, an interest and determination are what matters.

16. Jun 26, 2014 #15

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Personally, I think folks like Newton and Einstein had WAAAAYYYY more than just "interest and determination", otherwise there would be more of them.

17. Jun 26, 2014 #16
    I'm not sure I follow you.

From my point of view, passion, determination, and willpower are very much rarer than raw intelligence. I think there would be more of them if intelligence played a larger part.

18. Jun 26, 2014 #17

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

I DO agree w/ you that simple intelligence is reasonably common. Genius on the level of Newton or Einstein is not.

19. Jun 26, 2014 #18

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

This reminds me of the Monkey King story where he tries to show the Buddha how powerful he is by flying for ten thousand li (1 li = 1/2 km nowadays but back then who knows).

He spots four big pillars pointing to the sky, stops and makes his mark o one triumphant that he has flown beyond the reach of the Buddha until the clouds vanish and he finds himself standing in the Buddha's hand with his mark on one of the Buddha's fingers.

The moral is who needs giants when a big palm and a beach-side seat with appropriate refreshments will do.

Here's a clip from Alakazam The Great:

and at 23:50 in is his interaction with the Buddha.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  20. Jun 26, 2014 #19

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

With respect to the OP here. Its good to want to discover something new and great to discover something no one has discovered before. The danger here is that the desire to discover may blind you from ever discovering anything. We run into this all the time when something goes wrong and we are totally perplexed and can't fix usually because we're looking in the wrong place.

A classic example, were the programmers trying to figure out why their code was giving them the wrong answers to select computations on Intel Pentiums only to discover that some chips had an arithmetic flaw. that Intel had failed to disclose to anyone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel#Pentium_flaw

Instead you should develop an active curiosity, always questioning what you observe, what you learn and what you do and from that may come a good or great discovery. Sometimes you need to go at things in different directions from the conventional ways to discover a new way of doing things or a new invention. Sometimes you need a question to be answered or a problem to be solved, or some stress or drive to solve it quickly.

21. Jun 26, 2014 #20
    Interest and determination is a necessary condition, but not always a sufficient one.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook