If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go?

• Thread starter Cyrus
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation covers various vacation destinations and preferences, ranging from places like Afghanistan and Pakistan, to the Caribbean and the Maldives. Some people prefer active vacations, while others prefer relaxing on a beach with a drink in hand. There is also a mention of a private island, and some express interest in visiting places with unique experiences, such as visiting an observatory or kayaking down the Ganges. Some suggest staying at home and engaging in hobbies, while others share their future plans for travel.
Cyrus
Where would you go, why, and what would you do?

I don't know, I need a vacation when school ends. I don't know, but throw ideas around. Id be interested to know, even if I don't go anywhere. I might just sit at home on my ass for an entire week, god that would be good...

Physics news on Phys.org
Fiji. I've heard from some friends that the scuba diving and free diving are spectacular. Gotta love that warm water -- a Speedo and a dive knife are all that you have to wear.

Home! (I do more than enough traveling for work).

Does it have to be anywhere in the world, or can it be anywhere in the Universe?

The Moon! :biggrin:

Maui.

DaleSpam said:
Good answer, Dale! When I was running my own consulting business, I sometimes spent more time in the deep South than I did at home. Getting back home for my wife and her home-cooked meals and sleeping in our own bed could seem pretty precious.

Some beach in the Caribbean that has cocktails.

edge001-450.jpg

http://www.incredible-adventures.com/migs/mig31-edge-of-space.html

Kurdt said:
Some beach in the Caribbean that has cocktails.
Me too. The Evo Child's best friend's family rented a place on a private island in the Carribean a couple of years ago and took her. No crowds, they had everything to themselves. They had their own boat, so they could go exploring all of the little islands, ski, snorkle... <sigh>

A private Island would be lovely.

As long as it had a cocktail bar.

the Canaries, no doubt, the best climate all year around. Neither too hot nor too cold and the best island, La Palma, not in the first place for having an outstanding observatory.

My cousin and his wife typically vacation in the Carribean. They book their flights, arrange for the rental of a sail-boat, and pay to have it provisioned to their specs. They cruise around, island-hopping, anchoring and rowing into enjoy secluded beaches or snorkeling reefs and coves. A week or two later, they are back home, tanned and relaxed with lots of great pictures.

I'd like to go where the government is keeping and working on all the 'found' alien technology, artifacts, and remnants.

----
vacation in Caribbean, Mexico, Bahamas, backyard, etc. with some nice caring woman

Last edited:
I could really use someplace warm and sunny, a few drinks with fancy straws. My level of stress is maxed out right now.

Cyrus said:

I don't know, I need a vacation when school ends. I don't know, but throw ideas around. Id be interested to know, even if I don't go anywhere. I might just sit at home on my ass for an entire week, god that would be good...

Stay at home and make models, much better than cavorting all over world wasting fuel.

Ireland-I think it would be such a neat place to go since family on my mom's side is from there. Specifically Galway.

Cyrus said:

Hmm... *Moonbear contemplates whether she should answer where SHE would go, or suggest someplace to send Cyrus.* :biggrin:

I alternate between desiring vacations in places where there are lots of things to actively do and see...visit some European city, for example, and travel around the surrounding area, find the restaurants the locals eat at (rather than the tourist places), or go hiking, or camping, or visit rainforests or go trail riding on horseback, etc. Those are the vacations that are great fun, but you return needing a vacation from your vacation to catch up on rest after all that activity. And, then, sometimes I just want to go to some all-inclusive resort on a beach...doesn't matter where because they all look pretty much the same...and just relax out lounging by a pool, getting drinks from the bar in the pool, and not doing anything more strenuous than turning pages of trashy novels.

Cyrus, go to TIKRIT, great place. You will love it.

marlon

marlon said:

marlon

When are you coming to DC?

wolram said:
Stay at home and make models, much better than cavorting all over world wasting fuel.
How about a balloon. I hear that it's only 80 days around the world.

I'd like to kajak down the Ganges.

How about Antarctica? nice penguins :smile:

luben said:
How about Antarctica? nice penguins :smile:

I think there'll be a grumpy Pengwuino round those parts.

I'd go to Nicaragua to watch Buena Vista's league championship girls soccer team play. I wonder how much one of their http://www.seacoastonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080216/SPORTS/802160346 would go for on e-Bay, especially now that they've actually been worn by champions.

All of that "World Champion" memoribilia prepared in advance for the losing team almost always gets donated to some third world country as far away from e-Bay as possible, so I guess it was just a matter of time before the losing team's stuff popped back up in the news somehow.

By the way, just so people don't get some idea that the Patriots are more charitable than the Indianapolis Colts, the Colts have donated back-up quarterback Jim Sorgi to Nicaraguan children.

http://www.hotelchatter.com/files/admin/hilton_maldives.jpg
The Maldives

dst said:
A man after my own heart. Will you sell yours for a couple of grand so we can both go?

I've been planning a trip. It will take some time yet as it is tremendously expensive, but I should have an opportunity to go within about two years [depends on how some other plans work out]. I just hope I can do it before I can't pass the physical!

Thing is, can't decide between the "edge of space" of the high performance flight.

The Virgin Islands, by the time I was there 3 days I was tanned, pickled and so relaxed my wife and kids had no idea who I was.

Queenstown, New Zealand! (in January)

My dream trip is to go to Fairbanks and Barrow, Alaska around the summer solstice. I have always wanted to see the midnight sun. I would then go back in the winter if I could to see the aurora.

DaleSpam said:

Home is the best place. haha.

But I also wanted to go to Japan.

marlon said:

marlon

Why should he want to go there?

Integral said:
Why should he want to go there?

Just the typical marlon/cyrus lover's squabble. :biggrin: :rofl:

<h2>1. Where is your dream travel destination?</h2><p>I have always been fascinated by the rich culture and stunning landscapes of Japan. I would love to explore cities like Tokyo and Kyoto, as well as visit historical sites such as the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park.</p><h2>2. Why do you want to go there?</h2><p>Aside from the beautiful sights and delicious food, I am also drawn to the unique blend of traditional and modern influences in Japan. I am eager to immerse myself in the country's customs and traditions.</p><h2>3. Have you been there before?</h2><p>No, I have not had the opportunity to visit Japan yet. However, I have done extensive research and have talked to friends who have been there, and I am confident that it would be an amazing experience.</p><h2>4. How would you plan your trip?</h2><p>I would start by setting a budget and determining the best time to visit based on weather and peak tourist season. Then, I would research and create an itinerary that includes must-see attractions, local experiences, and transportation options.</p><h2>5. What do you hope to gain from this trip?</h2><p>I hope to gain a deeper understanding and appreciation for Japanese culture, as well as create unforgettable memories and connections with the people I meet. I also look forward to trying new foods and stepping out of my comfort zone. </p>

1. Where is your dream travel destination?

I have always been fascinated by the rich culture and stunning landscapes of Japan. I would love to explore cities like Tokyo and Kyoto, as well as visit historical sites such as the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park.

2. Why do you want to go there?

Aside from the beautiful sights and delicious food, I am also drawn to the unique blend of traditional and modern influences in Japan. I am eager to immerse myself in the country's customs and traditions.

3. Have you been there before?

No, I have not had the opportunity to visit Japan yet. However, I have done extensive research and have talked to friends who have been there, and I am confident that it would be an amazing experience.

4. How would you plan your trip?

I would start by setting a budget and determining the best time to visit based on weather and peak tourist season. Then, I would research and create an itinerary that includes must-see attractions, local experiences, and transportation options.

5. What do you hope to gain from this trip?

I hope to gain a deeper understanding and appreciation for Japanese culture, as well as create unforgettable memories and connections with the people I meet. I also look forward to trying new foods and stepping out of my comfort zone.