Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If you could question of any scientist in history

1. Jun 7, 2004 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you could question any scientist in history

Darn. Didn't get back in time to fix the title.

I recently heard a story about a tech at Femi Lab who found himself alone for a few minutes with Stephen Hawking. What would you say!?

Also, when I saw Hawking at the U of O some years ago, we all submitted a questions and ten were selected to be answered. I really had to think about my question; where to begin...?

If you could ask one question of any scientist from history, who and what would you ask.

My favorite question that was asked of Hawking: "If you could go anywhere in the universe, where would it be?" It seems that no one had ever asked him this before. His answer [effectively]: If somehow made possible, inside of a black hole.

Hawking asked the tech at Fermi Lab if he like his job. The tech said something like, "my job kind of sucks sometimes but the work is interesting". Hawking eventually replied: "Me too".

Hey Integral, if you are reading this, did I get that right? Did he actually say "sucks" to Hawking or did he just say that to us? Maybe he just said "boring".

Last edited: Jun 7, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2004 #2
    "Hey Galileo, what do you think of Christians?"

4. Jun 7, 2004 #3

Janitor

Science Advisor

I am not going to be able to top that, Dagenais!

I would ask Darwin, "Did you fear being ostracized by your community for providing a theory that was so at-odds with Biblical literalism?"

Second choice: I would ask Gregor Mendel if he fudged any of his data in his pea-plant experiments.

5. Jun 7, 2004 #4
    Einstein. I'd ask him if he really meant to write "Fast clock run slow." or if "Fast clocks will be measured as running slow" wouldn't have been a better way to put it.

6. Jun 8, 2004 #5
    Dr Eugene Shoemaker

I've conversed with many famous scientists over the years.

The one that I would like to ask just one more question of, is the late Dr Eugene Shoemaker.

I would ask him, "What did you find on your final visit to the Tanami Desert?"

I have my suspicions, but I'd like confirmation.

PS: I was the one who recently obtained (and posted) the Coroner's Report on Dr Eugene Shoemaker.

7. Jun 8, 2004 #6
    Galileo: Some, like me, are good. Some, like Ludovico delle Colombe, are bad.

8. Jun 8, 2004 #7

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"Now Mr. Fermat, here's a nice, empty notebook with lots of space in these pages..."

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?