Send Yourself an Encouraging Message: High School Edition

• Thread starter FayeKane
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, these are the important points to remember: - Don't pour water on your computer just to see what happens.- Argon is cheap and you can make plenty of sodium with it.

Oooh, good thread. Can it be Jr High since I was skipped through High School?

*Note to Evo -
Don't listen to your father. Become a cosmologist/archaeologist. DO NOT GO INTO BUSINESS, THE ECONOMY IS GOING TO CRASH.

Physics news on Phys.org

rootX said:
Enjoy every single moment.
Your troubles are not real.

That's a good one.

Evo said:
Oooh, good thread. Can it be Jr High since I was skipped through High School?

*Note to Evo -
Don't listen to your father. Become a cosmologist/archaeologist. DO NOT GO INTO BUSINESS, THE ECONOMY IS GOING TO CRASH.

Wow you never went to high school :|.

Time always kites effervescently. You OK unrealistic revelations. Entire delicacies underneath class actions towards ironic ontological necessities. Leslie escapes super safe. Succumb every riot in our uber slick lucky you.

(Those are really hard to make sound half decent)

"Just go to the stupid band majorette tryout. Don't be such a coward. So what if you can't throw the flaming baton up in the air and spin around three times and catch it, you'll probably never have to do that at the football games, anyway. Besides, you spent half a year of your life playing glockenspiel in the marching band, sweating in unthinkable humidity in a godawful brown and orange thick polyester uniform just to qualify for the tryout, you dink."

I wouldn't say a thing.

And then you'd say "Dude, are you going to say something?"

FayeKane said:
Generalized, the answers I see most frequently here and on my blog are:

1) Take education more seriously

2) Pay more attention to people who know WTF is going on

3) Go after that girl

1) Turns out no matter how smart you are, or how many tests you ace, going over in absences still means you fail :P

2) Ignore the cool people. they will pump your gas later in life (true story)

3) Go after the girl.. and that girl and that girl too.. just not the blonde. Blondes are your achilles heel.. especial that blonde.. no,no- stay away from her... come back...wait! don't do it!...d@mn!

*sigh*

4) Life will suck a lot less in 5 years..unless you ignored # 3, because then you were just asking for it.

5) There are 3 kinds of people in life:

Those who watch things happen
Those who make things happen
Those who wonder "WTF just happened?"

Which one are you?

You're going to start smoking anyway, so you might as well start now while it is still the cool thing to do.

Don't bother going to school. You won't end up using it for anything anyway. Use that time going to parties, getting drunk and picking up chicks.

Next time you see your father, punch him in the eye for me. You'll thank me for it later.

I'd just tell myself to join PF early.

FayeKane said:
Generalized, the answers I see most frequently here and on my blog are:

2) Pay more attention to people who know WTF is going on

3) Go after that girl

Not a very thorough analysis based solely on this thread. At the time you posted this, the answers most frequently given in this thread were:

2) Avoid disaster (physical injury, humiliation, bad hair, etc)
3-tie) Avoid that girl! (or guy)
Buy or save some valuable piece of property
Pay attention to people who know WTF is going on

So, you weren't too far off, but it is an interesting quirk of human nature that avoiding disaster is almost always seen as more important than taking advantage of opportunity.

In fact, at the time of your post, "avoiding that girl/disaster" outpolled "go for that girl/opportunity" by 9 to 4.

Education is seen as a good opportunity to take advantage of only because it is usually seen as a low risk opportunity.

Oh, and it's important to note that there was one response of 'gratuitous garnering of brownie points' in a futile hope of avoiding future banning, so maybe that should be added to the 'avoid disaster' total.

"Buddy, greetings from 2009,

I have good news and bad news...

The bad news is, there is a downside to everything you are, and you do.

The good news is, there is an upside to almost anything you can be, or do.

So don't sweat it."

lisab said:
That's a good one.

/second that

true in 99.1 percent of case in high school

1. Not all the people in your grade arbitrarily hate you, just most of them.

2. Work harder you fool!

3. Don't be stupid.

4. Stick to your method of laughing at everyone else's drama instead of getting involved in your own.

5. People are called crazy for a reason...that girl in yearbook especially. Pick another one.

Last edited:

Sir,

You are so entirely ignorant of the world, go read some Carl Sagan dude.

Thanks,

Futurbuntu

By the way, this thread has such perfect timing! I'm getting letters about my 20th high school reunion, and now that I've finally created a Facebook account (look for me at the PF Junkies group), I've had quite a lot of old high school classmates adding me to their friends' list and contacting me. I haven't talked to most of them in 20 years! It seems I was more popular in high school than I thought I was. People I thought didn't even like me are sending me messages wanting to be friends "again." Now that I'm conversing with some of these people 20 years later, I think I need to send myself a list of guys I should have dated but didn't even know they liked me back then!

Moonbear said:
Now that I'm conversing with some of these people 20 years later, I think I need to send myself a list of guys I should have dated but didn't even know they liked me back then!
I was really nerdy in HS, but participated in every sport and extracurricular activity that I could. My parents taught me to be polite and nice to everybody when I was a kid, and though that didn't cut much ice with the self-absorbed jerks in school, my demeanor seemed to carry over to the point where some girls that I thought were out of reach have told me in later years that they were carrying a torch.

WTF? What were the rules in rural towns in the '60s and how did things get so screwed up? In college, a very pretty younger lady that I had worshiped from afar sent me a letter from her new nursing school in Boston asking me to come visit her on Christmas break. Why weren't we hooked up during HS? I already had commitments that break. I guess I should have added to my list "Be nice to Becky! She already loves you!" and "Ignore her cranky dad and just date that girl." We were the leads in our senior class play, and the curtain-scene was a warm kiss. She loved play-practice as much as me although I didn't know it until later.

My message to myself would be...yes, it's been a bit of a rough ride to this point. But that's prepared you for the road ahead. Don't give up, and you'll do just fine.

1] You are wasting the best opportunity you have to really be someone. Seriously. Do your homework.

2] Ask her out. You will not die.

3] Seriously. Homework.

1. There's a whole lotta hell coming your way, stick it out, you'll learn a crap load about yourself.

2. There's something good in everything that goes tits up.

3. Blues is what you should be listening to ;p

Oh. I'd like to change my number 3.

3] By and large, you're going to be OK. Really.

DaveC426913 said:
Oh. I'd like to change my number 3.

3] By and large, you're going to be OK. Really.

Yes. I think that's one important thing I'd go back and tell myself. And the homework thing too. But mostly, yes, it'll be okay. Notwithstanding everything most people are trying to tell you right now, you're a pretty cool person.

I wouldn't bother... I wouldn't listen. Direct experience has always been my greatest teacher.

BobG said:
2) Three in Roman numerals can be written as IIV and eight can be written as IIX. Knowing that makes it so much easier to do squares and square roots in your head.

dude, teach me your ways.

Now what would i tell myself if i could speak to myself when i was in high school?

1. Keep going.
2. Get Smarter.
3. Two more years left.

Of course to tell myself that in high school i would just have to wait 2 seconds.

(i'm in high school if you didn't realize already :D)

i'm sucking all this up keep it rolling!

Pythagorean said:
dude, teach me your ways.

Yeah, that seems like a really handy trick.

i'm in high school if you didn't realize already :D

You have NO IDEA WHATSOEVER how lucky you are. Every single person here, no matter what they have accomplished and how much money they have, ALL of them would give it all up to trade positions with you.

Don't waste it.--faye kane, homeless brain

Last edited by a moderator:

1) Don't worry about the details. Just go ahead, fail. By failing, you'll learn how to succeed. Just like an amateur fisherman, you won't catch the fish the first times, but later you'll.

1) Figure out how to write a decent paper on the the Large N limit of superconformal field theories and supergravity before 1998.

2) Publish a paper on how to solve the hierarchy problem with large extra dimensions within the same timeframe.

3) Sure she's great, but trust your intuition, 6 months was really the best of it. In fact, you should always trust your intuitions anyway.

Last edited:

You all really need to review the Temporal Prime Directive. Sheeeeesh.

1) Spend more time with your brother while you can; you might think he's a pain in the ***, but if you don't, and don't get him away from the computer more often, trust me, it'll be bad. Don't worry about being his best friend, but be there for him, and don't do it with resentment. But don't spoil him, either.

2) Don't let people walk all over you in University. You're a nice guy, but you need to look after yourself, too. This is not an invitation to be a jerk.

3) Make time for yourself. Go for that run / workout, go out to that party. Relax a little. But not too much.

Forget about studying math or physics, stick to engineering.

Go to class. You might like having a degree.

qspeechc said:
Forget about studying math or physics, stick to engineering.
NEVER drive over a bridge. It might have been designed by an "engineer" with no math or physics training.

Majoring in home ec could put you in competition with some blond making millions doing second grade crafts and pushing magazines with the drive of a drug dealer.