IF you could travel faster than light, would time cease or

In summary, my professor told me that if I could gain the impossible amount of energy necessary to run beyond the speed of light, I would travel backwards in time. However, he also said that doing so in that way is a nonsense task and time would not exist at those speeds.
Tap Banister
Greetings everyone, I asked my professor about this, recently. I had always heard that if you could gain the impossible amount of energy necessary to run beyond the speed of light, you would travel backwards in time. But he however, told me something that I have never heard before.

He said, "If you were simply breaking the laws of nature to run that fast with just the speed produced by that energy, time would no longer exist; because going faster than light, in that way, is the same as accomplishing a nonsense task like drawing a squarclelangle. At those speeds, there is no such thing as time, you would be a being beyond time."

He did note that FTL was not necessarily impossible, but doing it in that way wasn't even a thing that made sense. It was like asking a question in a made up language. He is an incredible-awesome professor, but is he right about this? Your answers would be greatly cherished.

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
Yes, he is right. The question is a nonsense question within special relativity. It is like asking for what you should do when the traffic light shows blue (well, if you take SR into account you should probably slow down, but this is not the point here). It is a question which breaks the fundamental principles of the theory. Asking what a theory predicts when its fundamental assumptions are violated is just nonsensical.

Likes DrewD and Tap Banister
Thank you for the clarification.

A friend had also told me that it would lead to me looking like I'm time traveling from a bystander's perspective, which kind of to made sense to me, but when I thought about how time would appear to me in the act; that's when it started making less sense.

I appreciate your knowledge

This thread reminded me of the following limerick.

There was a young lady named Bright,
Whose speed was far faster than light;
She set out one day,
In a relative way,
And returned home the previous night.

A. H. Reginald Buller,
Emeritus Professor of Botany, University of Manitoba.
Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew

Likes Tap Banister
Well there is quantum tunnelling...

houlahound said:
Well there is quantum tunnelling...
Which has essentially nothing to do with this topic.

1. What is faster than light travel and why is it important?

Faster than light (FTL) travel is a hypothetical method of transportation that would allow an object to exceed the speed of light, which is currently considered the maximum speed limit in the universe. It is important because it could potentially revolutionize space exploration and allow us to travel to distant parts of the universe much faster than current methods.

2. How does the theory of relativity relate to FTL travel?

The theory of relativity, specifically the special theory of relativity, states that the speed of light is a fundamental constant in the universe and that nothing can travel faster than it. This poses a challenge for FTL travel as it would violate this principle. However, some scientists have proposed theories, such as the Alcubierre drive, that could potentially allow for FTL travel without breaking the laws of relativity.

3. Would traveling faster than light cause time to stop?

According to the theory of relativity, as an object approaches the speed of light, time for that object slows down. This phenomenon is known as time dilation. However, time would not stop completely for an object traveling faster than light. It is not entirely clear what would happen to time for an object exceeding the speed of light, as it is currently not possible to achieve this speed.

4. What are the potential consequences of FTL travel?

One of the potential consequences of FTL travel is the violation of causality, which is the principle that an effect cannot occur before its cause. If an object were to travel faster than light, it could potentially reach a destination before the cause of its travel occurred, leading to paradoxes and contradictions. Additionally, the immense energy and technology required for FTL travel could have major implications for the environment and society.

5. Is faster than light travel possible in the future?

At this time, we do not have the technology or understanding to achieve FTL travel. However, some scientists believe that with further advancements in physics and technology, it may be possible in the distant future. It is also possible that we may discover new laws of physics that will allow for FTL travel. Until then, it remains a topic of speculation and exploration in the scientific community.