1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If you find the scalar potential of a conservative vector field

1. Jun 30, 2005 #1
    Should your answer include the constant of integration? I think it should but my book's answers don't, so I dunno.

Example, <2xy^3, 3y^2x^2>

answer is x^2y^3, but should I include the + C? (and yes I went through and made sure h(y) was in fact a constant

Last edited: Jun 30, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2005 #2

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Technically, yes, you should include it.
    Of course, a boundary condition might fix it to a specific constant.
    From a (classical) physical point of view, it's the "difference in potential" that is physically relevant.

4. Jun 30, 2005 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I would say yes. But it's OK to leave it out as long as you know that adding an arbitrary constant to the potential will produce the same vector field.

5. Jun 30, 2005 #4

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Did the question ask for "the" scalar potential? If so, then go to your teacher and toss a hot cup of coffee in his lap. Once you've got his attention, explain to him that scalar potentials for a given force field aren't unique.

Or did the question ask for "a" scalar potential? If so, then any one will do.

6. Jun 30, 2005 #5
    Haha, hey, I like my teacher! It's actually outta the book, and it does say >A< scalar potential, had I been thinking it would've been clear, thanks though!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?