1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If you had a couple weeks to prepare for a class in QFT and GR, how would you do it?

1. Sep 2, 2011 #1
    I'll be taking a first course in quantum field theory and general relativity this fall at the masters level and I have a few weeks until I start. I was wondering if anybody had some advice on what to brush up or even self-teach before I'm neck deep in them (on top of other classes) so I can be a little ahead. Having never had a math methods course, I already taught myself the rudiments of residue calculus and Fourier transforms and inversions. Should I read up on special functions? I was thinking of reviewing some group/representation theory (mainly SO(3), SU(2), and Lorentz group) as well for QFT, and maybe work through the tensors chapter of Arfken or maybe just grab another GR book and look at the math chapters. Also I was wondering if it was worth reviewing elements of classical electrodynamics?

Any advice and tips are appreciated, thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2011 #2
    Re: If you had a couple weeks to prepare for a class in QFT and GR, how would you do

Small bump. I've started the tensor chapter in Arfken while working on some exercises in the Schaum's outline of tensor calculus. I'm also reviewing my group theory notes, mainly the Lorentz group.

Any advice appreciated!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook