Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If you had the money

1. Jul 30, 2009 #1
    ...in lets say 60 years from now (that makes me 78 yrs old), would you buy a "treatment" that dampens the aging process of your cells? The reason i ask this question is because i'd by one just to live longer till i can see with my own eyes the discovery of intelligent beings on another planet, interstellar travel made possible and if the astrophysicists have finally found the cause of the accelerating expansion of the universe (although we know the cause is some kind of "dark energy", but i want to know precise what it is :D).

Argument your answer pls :biggrin:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2009 #2
    I would definitely buy one, crowing over the miseries of others never gets old.

4. Jul 30, 2009 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I would not want to be old any longer than necessary. If it would reverse the aging process and I could live longer as a healthy young person, it would depend on the side effects.

5. Jul 30, 2009 #4
    I would buy it just to examine the advancement of technology in general.

I always find myself jealous of people living 100 years from now. I call it temporal envy.

6. Jul 30, 2009 #5

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, I'd buy one....if I was young and healthy. That's the answer I give now, while I'm healthy (not so young though)....but if you ask me when I'm 78 and frail, I bet I'd say heck yes!

7. Jul 30, 2009 #6
    60 years ago, when I was 78 I bought the stuff, but it was a waste of money. It didn't work.

8. Jul 30, 2009 #7
    What was it ? ^^

9. Jul 30, 2009 #8
    Ok Merlin. I think the question assumes that it does :tongue:.

10. Jul 30, 2009 #9
  11. Jul 30, 2009 #10
    When it's time to die I choose death, not a moment before or after.

12. Jul 31, 2009 #11
    Great. This will take natural causes out of the equation and make it all the more your choice.

13. Jul 31, 2009 #12
    That's kind of what I meant, but it also means that there are more important things to consider than life and death itself. I don't consider life or death to be a thing to be avoided or sought after. I try not to let it be a factor in my decisions.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  14. Jul 31, 2009 #13
    Nah. If we've discovered intelligent beings on another planet, made interstellar travel possible and found the cause of the accelerating expansion of the universe or precisely what "dark energy" is, I haven't seen it with my own eyes.

15. Jul 31, 2009 #14
    I'd buy myself an MIT education... sigh...

16. Jul 31, 2009 #15
    How can you be jealous of people living a hundred years from now? You can't know what will happen a hundred years from now. Al Quida might have nuked the West by then and herded the survivors into slave camps. Would you be jealous of people living in those conditions?

You can't buy yourself an MIT education, I hope. Any self respecting physics professor will tell show you the door if you try and buy your way in. Then again, maybe I'm being too optimistic! Anyone tried this experiment? If there are any proper investigative journalists left, why not try this? Try and buy your way into MIT and film it!

17. Jul 31, 2009 #16
    Not if you have billions!

18. Jul 31, 2009 #17

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hmm. Being a twenty-something with 78 years of life experience and living off of a pension. If my brain cells reverted back as well, I think that I would be in a lot of trouble. :rolleyes:

19. Jul 31, 2009 #18

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm immortal so I don't have to worry.

20. Jul 31, 2009 #19
    I think you are underestimating the power of money here.

Besides, would we really want to slow the aging process ? What with overpopulation ?

marlon

21. Jul 31, 2009 #20
    You should have come to the Gentse Feesten. I would have shown you how immortal you are. Ahh, the power of alcohol !

marlon

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook