Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If you have force depending on distance, then how to find distance depending on time.

1. Nov 17, 2011 #1
    This problem has been bothering me for a while now, hope you can help me.

Let's say that the initial velocity of an object, with mass of m is 0 and the initial position is s0 and the force acting on the object is defined as F(s), how do i find the s(t), where t is time. If it's any help, then the F(s) should be periodic. I can also write the exact problem I'm working on, but a general solution would be nice.

Thank You in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2011 #2

rcgldr

Homework Helper

Re: If you have force depending on distance, then how to find distance depending on t

Generally you'll have to translate force into acceleration, this gives you a(s). You can start with a = dv/dt, multply by ds/ds, => a = (dv/ds) (ds/dt) = v dv/ds. This leads to v dv = a(s) ds, which will be the first integration step. You mentioned F(s) is periodic, so take the simple case a(s) = -s, this results in:
    v dv = -s ds
    1/2 v2 = - 1/2 s2 + c
    v = sqrt(c - s2)
    ds/dt = sqrt(c - s2)
    ds/sqrt(c - s2) = dt
    let c = d^2
    ds/sqrt(d2 - s2) = dt
    sin-1(s / |d|) = t + e (or - cos-1(s / |d|)= t + e)
    s = |d| sin(t + e) (or s = -|d| cos(t + e)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  4. Nov 18, 2011 #3
    Re: If you have force depending on distance, then how to find distance depending on t

Thank you for your answer. Correct me of I'm wrong, but I understand that d and e are random constants. Isn't there a way to solve it so there wouldn't be any random constants in the answer?

5. Nov 18, 2011 #4

rcgldr

Homework Helper

Yes, they are random constants.
    You need to supply enough initial conditions to solve for the constants, for example, if s(0) = 0 and v(0) = 1, then s(t) = sin(t).

6. Nov 18, 2011 #5

Say i wanted to take definite integrals from both sides of the equation: a(s) ds = v dv, then what should be the intervals for both sides? Should they be equal, or lets say [s1;0] for the left side and [v(s1);v(0)] for the other side?

7. Nov 18, 2011 #6

rcgldr

Homework Helper

I'm not sure, since this would restrict the equality to defined intervals which could affect the outcome, and you'd still need limits for the ds/sqrt(...) = dt definite integral.

For my example, knowing s(0) and v(0) was enough to solve the example problem. I'm not sure of the advantage of including a second state for s1 earlier on. How would you choose s1?

8. Nov 18, 2011 #7

I know that v(s1) = 0 and i also know how to calculate v(0). But okay, as your way seems better, could you please tell me how you got to the point where s(t) = sin(t). As I'm quite new to all this i didn't really understand how you got rid of those constants. If you could do it step by step, that'd be wonderful. Again, thanks in advance.

9. Nov 18, 2011 #8

rcgldr

Homework Helper

I used the derived equation for s(t) and it's derivatives, acceleration wasn't used:

s(t) = |d| sin(t + e)
    v(t) = |d| cos(t + e)
    a(t) = -|d| sin(t + e)

if s(0) = 0 then e = 0 or e = ± π (assuming |d| ≠ 0)
    if v(0) = 1 then |d| = 1 and e = 0

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook