PhD Students: What Else Can You Learn From Your PhD?

In summary, the goal of a PhD is to equip the graduate with the skills and knowledge they need to become an independent researcher in their field.
random_soldier
I mean apart from the obvious that they'll select some research topic and learn about that.

Physics news on Phys.org
In what major? Could you narrow down what you are asking about? Do you mean outside of school, or in school but to be well-rounded, or special skills that help PhD candidates do well? Your question is too broad so far to generate a useful discussion, IMO. Thanks.

Major: Engineering or sciences. Skills that can be applied outside of school but are learned during your PhD and can be used during it as well.

Generalized thinking/problem solving skills are the most widely applicable skills inside and outside of school.

Another answer would be hands on skills (dissecting things, photo/optics, drawing, making circuits, plumbing, fabricating things, etc.)

Another answer would be knowledge gained that allowed you to do things for your PhD which are hierarchcially lower than your PhD subject. For example, I got a PhD in biology, so I had to know a lot of chemistry (for many reasons). Biology runs on principles of chemistry, thus it is hierarchically higher. Chemistry is very useful for doing and understanding a lot of things.

Many places require a foreign language if you do a PhD. This can be quite useful.

BillTre said:
Generalized thinking/problem solving skills are the most widely applicable skills inside and outside of school.

Shouldn't an effective primary education system handle this?

BillTre said:
Another answer would be hands on skills (dissecting things, photo/optics, drawing, making circuits, plumbing, fabricating things, etc.)

A bit confused. I assume you are referring to some of them as I doubt one can be good at all of them or have the time to become good at all of them.

random_soldier said:
Shouldn't an effective primary education system handle this?

Yes, but not always. Also you can get better.

random_soldier said:
A bit confused. I assume you are referring to some of them as I doubt one can be good at all of them or have the time to become good at all of them.
All at once unlikely.
But, to be "useful" or "useful" in particular restricted circumstances is no so difficult.

Likes random_soldier
My advisor believed that a PhD candidate should display the following:
1. Ability (with help) to identify a research topic that is interesting, relevant, and amenable to study by the candidate (i.e., not easy but not impossible either).
2. Ability to write a grant proposal, including all that entails (statement of problem, explanation of its importance, background and summary of state of art, laying out research program, planning budget and schedule, etc.).
3. Managing said research program.
4. Ability to realize that work performed was valuable and sufficient for degree (i.e., knowing when to stop).
5. Writing results in papers and a thesis.

It’s challenging compared to programs where an advisor leads the student by the hand through the degree, but, if followed, it sets the student up for success in whatever they do afterwards.

• Informative
Likes random_soldier and BillTre
If you hold a PhD or are a PhD advisor, what do you think students should learn from their PhDs?

A PhD is basically a research apprenticeship. So if you do a PhD then by the end you should have learned to function as an independent (if still junior) researcher in your field. This includes learning to do some of the things listed by @marcusl above.

I think maybe the litmus test is that, by the end of your PhD, you should have become more knowledgeable and have better insights about (at least) the specific research problems you worked on than colleagues who helped you and offered guidance along the way, including the supervisor. This shows that you can conduct research and learn something by yourself. I think it's not such an impressive PhD if, at the end, your supervisor can explain and answer technical questions about your own research better than you can. I don't know if this is realistic in every field, though.

It's of course also good if you can pick up skills along the way (like teaching, programming, learning a new language) that may be useful if you leave academia afterwards, but I don't see this as the purpose of the PhD itself.

• Informative
Likes random_soldier

1. What skills can I gain from pursuing a PhD?

Pursuing a PhD can help you develop a wide range of skills, including critical thinking, problem-solving, communication, time management, project management, and research skills. These skills are highly valued in both academic and non-academic fields.

2. What other benefits can I gain from a PhD besides academic knowledge?

In addition to gaining academic knowledge, a PhD can also provide you with opportunities for personal and professional growth. You can build a network of colleagues and mentors, develop your leadership skills, and gain experience in teaching and mentoring others.

3. How can a PhD enhance my career prospects?

A PhD can open up a wide range of career opportunities, both in academia and in industry. It can demonstrate your expertise in a particular field and make you a competitive candidate for research, teaching, and leadership positions. It can also provide you with transferable skills that are highly valued by employers.

4. Can I pursue a PhD in a different field from my undergraduate degree?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a PhD in a different field from your undergraduate degree. Many PhD programs value diverse backgrounds and perspectives, and may even prefer candidates with interdisciplinary experiences. However, you may need to take additional courses or gain relevant experience in the new field before applying.

5. How long does it take to complete a PhD?

The duration of a PhD program can vary depending on the field of study, the research topic, and the individual's progress. On average, it takes 4-6 years to complete a PhD, but it can take longer in some cases. It is important to carefully plan and manage your time to ensure timely completion of your degree.