Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If you play poker with this fellow, DON'T let him deal!

1. Nov 23, 2009 #1

turbo

Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2009 #2
    To do some of the tricks he's doing you need a specially made deck.

One time though I saw these guys rig a deck and do a special shuffle. They dealt everyone on the table AWESOME hands so that way everyone would go all in... and they would always make sure that they had the best hand. It was so funny people were losing with like full houses, flushes, 4 of a kind even haha. Imagine how much money you could win by doing that in your house with random people. Get them all to go all-in first hand BAM you take all their money in one hand hahahah

4. Nov 23, 2009 #3

turbo

Gold Member

Unless he is being dishonest with his video, he is using Tally-Ho cards. Nothing real special about them, except that they are perhaps a bit more durable than Bicycles. My poker-buddies and I always used Bicycles because they were durable enough for a single session at the table, and we could often find them in multi-packs at discount prices.

5. Nov 24, 2009 #4
    I didn't see him do anything that didn't look like something that could be done with a regular deck of cards. Difficult certainly but not impossible. At most it appears that he bent the deck a bit to give the cards a slightly cupped shape. With a fresh deck between a bit of bending and some static the cards can stick together like that fairly well.

6. Nov 24, 2009 #5
    That last move he did was the perfect finale. That was ridiculous.
    It doesn't necessarily have to be static, it could just be the vacuum between the cards. I do something similar with my old Magic the Gathering cards. They're old, so there's definitely no static between them. If I press them together slightly, I can toss an entire deck across the room to my friend and it stays together.

The fact that some people think he's using a special deck of cards shows just how good he is.
    It's like when I play an online game and people think I'm using a hack. It's a compliment, since I know I'm not, I must be pretty good if other people think I must be cheating to accomplish what I did.

7. Nov 24, 2009 #6
    Well it's not cheating in this case and I don't think he would be being dishonest either. Lots of people to do these tricks use special cards.

8. Nov 24, 2009 #7

turbo

Gold Member

Here is a link to some reviews of Tally-Ho cards. Apparently, guys that do card manipulations like them because of the durability and finish, though lots of the folks in that discussion recommend using Bicycles for practice and Tally-Hos for performance because of the price differential. I can vouch for that - multi-packs of Bicycles can be quite inexpensive if you catch them on sale.

http://www.21ace.com/Tally-Ho-Playing-Cards.php

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook