If you play poker with this fellow, DON'T let him deal

• Thread starter turbo
  • Start date
In summary, the man in the video is doing some amazing card moves in slow-motion, but I'll bet he can cop some of these manipulations "at speed". Wow!
Physics news on Phys.org
turbo-1 said:
He's doing these card moves in slow-motion, but I'll bet he can cop some of these manipulations "at speed". Wow!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5x2FQuQfTg&feature=player_embedded

To do some of the tricks he's doing you need a specially made deck.

One time though I saw these guys rig a deck and do a special shuffle. They dealt everyone on the table AWESOME hands so that way everyone would go all in... and they would always make sure that they had the best hand. It was so funny people were losing with like full houses, flushes, 4 of a kind even haha. Imagine how much money you could win by doing that in your house with random people. Get them all to go all-in first hand BAM you take all their money in one hand hahahah

Sorry! said:
To do some of the tricks he's doing you need a specially made deck.
Unless he is being dishonest with his video, he is using Tally-Ho cards. Nothing real special about them, except that they are perhaps a bit more durable than Bicycles. My poker-buddies and I always used Bicycles because they were durable enough for a single session at the table, and we could often find them in multi-packs at discount prices.

I didn't see him do anything that didn't look like something that could be done with a regular deck of cards. Difficult certainly but not impossible. At most it appears that he bent the deck a bit to give the cards a slightly cupped shape. With a fresh deck between a bit of bending and some static the cards can stick together like that fairly well.

That last move he did was the perfect finale. That was ridiculous.
With a fresh deck between a bit of bending and some static the cards can stick together like that fairly well.
It doesn't necessarily have to be static, it could just be the vacuum between the cards. I do something similar with my old Magic the Gathering cards. They're old, so there's definitely no static between them. If I press them together slightly, I can toss an entire deck across the room to my friend and it stays together.

The fact that some people think he's using a special deck of cards shows just how good he is.
It's like when I play an online game and people think I'm using a hack. It's a compliment, since I know I'm not, I must be pretty good if other people think I must be cheating to accomplish what I did.

leroyjenkens said:
That last move he did was the perfect finale. That was ridiculous.

It doesn't necessarily have to be static, it could just be the vacuum between the cards. I do something similar with my old Magic the Gathering cards. They're old, so there's definitely no static between them. If I press them together slightly, I can toss an entire deck across the room to my friend and it stays together.

The fact that some people think he's using a special deck of cards shows just how good he is.
It's like when I play an online game and people think I'm using a hack. It's a compliment, since I know I'm not, I must be pretty good if other people think I must be cheating to accomplish what I did.

Well it's not cheating in this case and I don't think he would be being dishonest either. Lots of people to do these tricks use special cards.

Here is a link to some reviews of Tally-Ho cards. Apparently, guys that do card manipulations like them because of the durability and finish, though lots of the folks in that discussion recommend using Bicycles for practice and Tally-Hos for performance because of the price differential. I can vouch for that - multi-packs of Bicycles can be quite inexpensive if you catch them on sale.

http://www.21ace.com/Tally-Ho-Playing-Cards.php

1. Why should I not let this person deal in a poker game?

There could be several reasons for this warning. It is possible that this person has a history of cheating or manipulating the cards while dealing. It could also be because this person is not well-versed in the rules of the game and may make mistakes while dealing, leading to an unfair game.

2. What are the consequences of letting this person deal?

If this person is known for cheating, it could result in losing money or the integrity of the game. If the person is inexperienced, it could lead to confusion and unfair gameplay, causing frustration for all players.

3. How can I tell if someone is cheating while dealing?

Some red flags to look out for include excessive shuffling or handling of the cards, hiding cards under the table, and dealing from the bottom of the deck. If you are suspicious, you can also ask for a different dealer or switch to a different game.

4. Can I trust someone who is not experienced in dealing to play fair?

While it is not always the case, it is generally safer to have an experienced dealer who knows the rules and techniques of dealing. This reduces the chances of mistakes or unfair play. However, if the person is willing to learn and follow the rules, they can still be trusted to deal fairly.

5. What should I do if I suspect someone is cheating while dealing?

If you suspect someone of cheating, it is best to bring it up with the group or the host of the game. It is important to address the issue calmly and without accusing anyone directly. If necessary, you can also stop playing and leave the game to avoid any further conflict.