1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If you push on a crate with a force of 100 N and it slides at constant velocity, how

1. Sep 8, 2012 #1
    If you push on a crate with a force of 100 N and it slides at constant velocity, how much is the friction acting on the crate?

Consider a crate being pushed horizontally across a factory floor. If it moves at a steady speed in a straight - line path, it is in dynamic equilibrium. This tells us that more than one force acts on the crate. Another force exists likely the force of friction between the crate and the floor. The fact that the net force on the crate equals zero means that the force of fricition must equal and opposite to our pushing force.

2. Relevant equations

3. 100 N of friction

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2012 #2
    Re: If you push on a crate with a force of 100 N and it slides at constant velocity,

What exactly is ur question??

U already got ur answer that friction force is 100N as there is no acceleration of crate and all
    applied force is cancelled by friction to keep body in dynamic equilibrium

4. Sep 8, 2012 #3
    Re: If you push on a crate with a force of 100 N and it slides at constant velocity,

My question was my answer I thought, but I was thinking if someone was pushing the crate at 100 N and there was 100 N of resistance how would they be pushing it but you answered my thought they wouldn't be.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook