Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If you were God ?

1. Oct 14, 2003 #1
    Hi all,

The question I want to pose is simply "If you were God what would you do?

How would you create reality?

What form would it take?

What challenges would you make for us people?

I once read a joke that talked about a man asking God why he allows such injustice and suffering. Gods answer was quite simple and so profound in that he answers by saying that he was going to ask the man the same question.

so,

any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2003 #2
    If i was god i would do nothing. Just wait for the end. Let it ride. I mean what esle can you do. To be perfect and to love all is to not be bias to choosing between good and evil and right and wrong. Therefore to be perfect in my eyes is to do nothing. Neutral.

4. Oct 15, 2003 #3
    I agree with Thanos. Adversity is what drives the human race. Without it, we would not evolve, would not change. We just be sitting around enjoying ourselves happy and contented, and totally oblivous to the world around us.

If I as god were to intervene I'd be imposing myself and my wishes onto the human race. Eventually humans would cease to think for themselves, and eventually we would stop evolving. And evolution is what allows the human race to survive. It's what prepares us for the unthinkable, because we're alwayws thinking of somethine new.

5. Oct 15, 2003 #4
    right, well, if i were god, i wouldn't care if the human race never evolved, I'm GOD! So i'd intervene all i'd want. I'd probably veiw the world as my entertainment. I'd do things that'd make life funny or interesting. Maybe let a couple of humans know i was God, just for kicks, see what they'd do. Course, if i were god, then i guess i may be omnicent, which would really ruin things, cause i'd always know what'd happen in the world... Maybe i'd try and destroy myself, see if it was possible. Actually, if i were God, i'd pretty much live with the same philosophies i have now, only i'd have way more power to do things.

6. Oct 15, 2003 #5
    I'd "reveal" myself to different people in different places, telling them all different things and then sit back and watch them kill each other. But that's just me.

7. Oct 16, 2003 #6
    Of couse the big problem with that would be that you already would know what they would do. You would know everything! Nothing would be new.

8. Oct 16, 2003 #7
    if i were god I'd take a hard look at myself and try to find out where i went wrong

9. Oct 16, 2003 #8
    Scott, why would you look back to where you went wrong when it is obvious that you did something right to become god?

10. Oct 16, 2003 #9
    ahhh the truth comes to the surface...as it always has and always will

11. Oct 16, 2003 #10
    If I were god, I would have multiple worlds and compare each, and destory books that are spreading with lies about me.

12. Oct 16, 2003 #11

FZ+

If I were God, I would uncreate myself.

Consider it an interesting challenge... :wink:

13. Oct 16, 2003 #12
    If you uncreate yourself you will no longer be existing, and what you created might be uncreated as well, so why do it?

14. Oct 16, 2003 #13
    i can't imagine being god i've decided. If i were god, would i know everything? everything about myself too? that seems... pointless. If i were god, and i knew everything about everything past present and future, i'd see no point in existince. Or maybe i would... actually i just decided i don't know that either...

15. Oct 16, 2003 #14

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

IF?? we are spirits (of "god") living in a material world...the perception here is we areseparate from "god" (which in my opinion is the universe in its entirity)...when we can shed the misconception that we are separate from "god", we will no longer feel alone as individuals...

16. Oct 16, 2003 #15
    If i were god before the big bang i wouldn't last for even a fraction of a milisencond before destroying myself. I mean just that momment where i exist is when i would have already thought and decided what i would make our universe be. So a perfect plan and action would not need me to watch over it now would it. No way i would even think of remaining as an infinte being to have doubt to even interfere with what is going on. What is done is done and what will be, will be for i decided the fate or free-will of you beings. fate leaves some room for doubt i think. So free-will might have more room for confidence. But i guess as an infinite being i made the right choice.

17. Oct 17, 2003 #16

wolram

Gold Member

if i were god i would create equals of myself so i
    dont get bored, maybe even some females..........

18. Oct 17, 2003 #17

Njorl

Science Advisor

If I were God I'd contemplate where I came from, and if I was created by a greater being than myself. Then, seeing the futility in that, I'd set about exploiting lesser creatures to my own benefit. Soon though, I'd start feeling guilty about that, and wonder about the moral implications of how I treat these so-called lesser creatures.

Njorl

19. Oct 18, 2003 #18
    If I were God I'd create another gender man woman and something entirely different. Change the duality to a triality just for fun.
    an interesting challenge but go one step further after de-creating yourself and becomeing absolutely nothing recreate yourself back to being something.... now.... there's a challenge.....ha ( this is fun)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2003
  20. Oct 18, 2003 #19

wolram

Gold Member

if i was a god i would make politicians noses grow
    if they told a lie

allow faster than c travel

uninvent soaps

then pop down to the stella arms for a pint.

21. Oct 18, 2003 #20

FZ+

Because without existence, there is no need for a reason.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?