What would you do if you were God?

• Thread starter scott_sieger
  • Start date
And that would be interesting. In summary, the conversation started with a question about what one would do if they were God and how they would create reality. Different ideas were shared, ranging from doing nothing to intervening and manipulating the world for entertainment. Some even questioned the concept of being God and the implications it would have. The conversation also touched on the idea of multiple worlds and the concept of free will. It ended with some lighthearted suggestions for what a God might do, such as making politicians' noses grow if they lied. Ultimately, the conversation highlighted the complexity and uncertainty surrounding the idea of being God.
scott_sieger
Hi all,

The question I want to pose is simply "If you were God what would you do?

How would you create reality?

What form would it take?

What challenges would you make for us people?

I once read a joke that talked about a man asking God why he allows such injustice and suffering. Gods answer was quite simple and so profound in that he answers by saying that he was going to ask the man the same question.

so,

any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
If i was god i would do nothing. Just wait for the end. Let it ride. I mean what esle can you do. To be perfect and to love all is to not be bias to choosing between good and evil and right and wrong. Therefore to be perfect in my eyes is to do nothing. Neutral.

I agree with Thanos. Adversity is what drives the human race. Without it, we would not evolve, would not change. We just be sitting around enjoying ourselves happy and contented, and totally oblivous to the world around us.

If I as god were to intervene I'd be imposing myself and my wishes onto the human race. Eventually humans would cease to think for themselves, and eventually we would stop evolving. And evolution is what allows the human race to survive. It's what prepares us for the unthinkable, because we're alwayws thinking of somethine new.

right, well, if i were god, i wouldn't care if the human race never evolved, I'm GOD! So i'd intervene all i'd want. I'd probably veiw the world as my entertainment. I'd do things that'd make life funny or interesting. Maybe let a couple of humans know i was God, just for kicks, see what they'd do. Course, if i were god, then i guess i may be omnicent, which would really ruin things, cause i'd always know what'd happen in the world... Maybe i'd try and destroy myself, see if it was possible. Actually, if i were God, i'd pretty much live with the same philosophies i have now, only i'd have way more power to do things.

I'd "reveal" myself to different people in different places, telling them all different things and then sit back and watch them kill each other. But that's just me.

Originally posted by Gale17
right, well, if i were god, i wouldn't care if the human race never evolved, I'm GOD! So i'd intervene all i'd want. I'd probably veiw the world as my entertainment. I'd do things that'd make life funny or interesting. Maybe let a couple of humans know i was God, just for kicks, see what they'd do.

Of couse the big problem with that would be that you already would know what they would do. You would know everything! Nothing would be new.

if i were god I'd take a hard look at myself and try to find out where i went wrong

Scott, why would you look back to where you went wrong when it is obvious that you did something right to become god?

ahhh the truth comes to the surface...as it always has and always will

If I were god, I would have multiple worlds and compare each, and destory books that are spreading with lies about me.

If I were God, I would uncreate myself.

Consider it an interesting challenge... :wink:

If you uncreate yourself you will no longer be existing, and what you created might be uncreated as well, so why do it?

i can't imagine being god I've decided. If i were god, would i know everything? everything about myself too? that seems... pointless. If i were god, and i knew everything about everything past present and future, i'd see no point in existince. Or maybe i would... actually i just decided i don't know that either...

IF?? we are spirits (of "god") living in a material world...the perception here is we areseparate from "god" (which in my opinion is the universe in its entirity)...when we can shed the misconception that we are separate from "god", we will no longer feel alone as individuals...

If i were god before the big bang i wouldn't last for even a fraction of a milisencond before destroying myself. I mean just that momment where i exist is when i would have already thought and decided what i would make our universe be. So a perfect plan and action would not need me to watch over it now would it. No way i would even think of remaining as an infinite being to have doubt to even interfere with what is going on. What is done is done and what will be, will be for i decided the fate or free-will of you beings. fate leaves some room for doubt i think. So free-will might have more room for confidence. But i guess as an infinite being i made the right choice.

if i were god i would create equals of myself so i
dont get bored, maybe even some females...

If I were God I'd contemplate where I came from, and if I was created by a greater being than myself. Then, seeing the futility in that, I'd set about exploiting lesser creatures to my own benefit. Soon though, I'd start feeling guilty about that, and wonder about the moral implications of how I treat these so-called lesser creatures.

Njorl

If I were God I'd create another gender man woman and something entirely different. Change the duality to a triality just for fun.
If I were God, I would uncreate myself.

an interesting challenge but go one step further after de-creating yourself and becoming absolutely nothing recreate yourself back to being something... now... there's a challenge...ha ( this is fun)

Last edited by a moderator:
if i was a god i would make politicians noses grow
if they told a lie

allow faster than c travel

uninvent soaps

then pop down to the stella arms for a pint.

Originally posted by Turtle
If you uncreate yourself you will no longer be existing, and what you created might be uncreated as well, so why do it?

Because without existence, there is no need for a reason.

for the premice of that question to be valid we would have to assume
that 'God' is a singular being intervening or not intervening in what
'he' 'feels' appropriate. my view is that all human consciousness and all consciousness of all things, from rocks and the vibration of the strings within them to the consciousness of beings in galaxies too far to be detected, to the galaxies' themselves is 'God'. so the question should be;What can we do?

Originally posted by THANOS
Therefore to be perfect in my eyes is to do nothing.

Procrastination rocks!

The fantasies whereby God is something omnipotent, omniscient, somehow separate and yet also unbiquitous, are themselves quite hilarious. Hopefully some start realizing how much of what is being imagined about God is a mere projection of petty human desires and fears. Now saying this is not very original either, it has been formulated quite eloquently already by Feuerbach, who inspired already Marx quite a lot...

On the other hand, nowadays many believe to be godless and oh so free of the problem of God. But this is a huge fallacy as long as they fall to blind belief in what they happen to like or dislike (see above)... Keep wondering, but with a clear mind, in full self-transparency!

if i were god, i would do away with all logic, so that utopia could be reached...

If I was God, I would have no need to change anything. All would be perfect and complete in me. If for some inexplicable reason I needed some entertainment I'd create a perfect and beautiful world without suffering and all would be good.

One thing I'd definitely steer clear of is creating a race of badly flawed beings, giving them freewill, a great capacity to inflict suffering and to suffer, a bunch of false religions and secular philosophies and then obscure the reality of my own existence, making it reliant on blind acceptance. I mean what sort of deity would do a thing like that?!

I then definitely wouldn't leave them to work it out themselves, with only a kindly world flood or other apocalyptic event every now and again to remind them to be good. And the last thing I'd do to those that missed the point is torture them for eternity nor even allow one of my ex-lackeys to torture them for eternity.

I'd either have to be non-omnipotent, non-omnibenevolent or non-omniscient to run a sick disaster like that. And what sort of God would that make me? I mean I couldn't even get away with saying that I didn't see it coming. Or it was beyond my control.

1. What powers would you have if you were God?

If I were God, I would have the power to create and control the universe, manipulate time and space, and possess omniscience and omnipotence.

2. How would you handle the responsibility of being God?

I would approach this responsibility with great humility and a deep understanding of the impact my decisions would have on the world and its inhabitants. I would strive to use my powers for the greater good and make just and fair decisions.

3. What would you do about suffering and evil in the world?

If I were God, I would aim to create a world without suffering and evil. However, I would also understand the importance of free will and the lessons that can be learned from overcoming challenges. I would work towards helping humanity find ways to alleviate suffering and combat evil.

4. How would you handle prayers and requests from humans?

If I were God, I would listen to all prayers and requests with compassion and understanding. However, I would also consider the bigger picture and the consequences of granting certain wishes. I would strive to guide humans towards making the best decisions for themselves and the world.

5. How would you ensure justice and fairness in the world?

If I were God, I would establish a universal set of moral and ethical principles that would guide my decisions and actions. I would also strive to create a world where all beings are treated with equality and fairness, and justice is served for those who have been wronged.