If you're going to Sochi, be careful with your toilet paper

• News
  • Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paper
In summary, people in many parts of the world don't always have access to free toilet paper, and people who do tend to reuse it multiple times.
Physics news on Phys.org
This is also true in many places in the Middle East and North Africa. Toilet paper tends to clog the narrow sanitary sewer systems in many homes and businesses. A lidded basket is usually provided for the used paper. In the better places, this is emptied several times a day. In other places, . . . .

By the way, canny travelers never go out without a few yards of toilet paper folded snugly in a plastic baggie, and kept handy. Very few public toilets in many parts of the world provide free paper. In many of these areas, an old woman will be in the toilet area (yes, the men's too) selling toilet paper by the square!

klimatos said:
... an old woman will be in the toilet area (yes, the men's too) selling toilet paper by the square!
I'd get off cheap as I learned in the Army how to do it with just one sheet. Not kidding.

All of this make me think of the wet wipes problem that was in the news last fall.

http://www.kgw.com/news/Flushable-wipes-causing-sewer-problems-223008781.html

Last edited by a moderator:
dlgoff said:
I'd get off cheap as I learned in the Army how to do it with just one sheet. Not kidding.

I know what you are talking about and no one will want to share that sheet. There must be a video of that method.:devil:

There was once an Air Force regulation that limited the number of sheets to three for men and six for women.! We ignored it no one was checking.

edward said:
I know what you are talking about and no one will want to share that sheet. There must be a video of that method.:devil:
I'm sure there's a video but I value my membership here. o:)

I arrived in Iran 45 years ago as a Peace Corps volunteer. Although I became an Electronics and Physics teacher in a vocational school, my own learning experiences began immediately upon arrival. Here are some observations from that experience:

There was no toilet paper, to my surprise
Using only water instead of soft double plies
An efficient system they had managed to devise
To be perfectly clear, try to visualize
Using the bathroom tissue you all recognize
Afterwards the area may draw flies
Then go out with your friends and socialize
The suggestion to reexamine our system and perhaps revise
Is flatly rejected by sedentary ostriches who are quick to criticize
And embellish their own ignorance while they chastise
“Disregard all things foreign” they say, “Our American way we idolize”
And who remain dirty daily because they refuse to open their eyes
Which one is barbaric, water or paper, is elementary to surmise.

Bobbywhy

klimatos said:
This is also true in many places in the Middle East and North Africa. Toilet paper tends to clog the narrow sanitary sewer systems in many homes and businesses. A lidded basket is usually provided for the used paper. In the better places, this is emptied several times a day. In other places, . . . .

It's also true in many public places in China... except you also have to bring your own paper, they usually don't provide free toilet paper.

What is the issue with toilet paper in Sochi?

The issue with toilet paper in Sochi is that the city's sewage system is not equipped to handle large amounts of toilet paper. This is due to the pipes being smaller in size and the city's aging infrastructure.

Why is it important to be careful with toilet paper in Sochi?

It is important to be careful with toilet paper in Sochi because flushing large amounts of toilet paper can cause clogs in the sewage system. This can lead to overflow and potential damage to the system, resulting in costly repairs.

What are some alternative options for disposing of toilet paper in Sochi?

Some alternative options for disposing of toilet paper in Sochi include throwing it in a designated waste bin next to the toilet or using a bidet or personal hygiene wipes.

Is this issue specific to Sochi or is it common in other cities?

This issue is specific to Sochi due to its unique infrastructure and sewage system. However, it is also common in other cities with similar infrastructure and may be a concern in older buildings or areas with smaller pipes.

Are there any other tips for visitors to Sochi regarding toilet paper usage?

Some additional tips for visitors to Sochi include using only small amounts of toilet paper at a time, avoiding flushing any paper products down the toilet, and being mindful of any signs or instructions provided in public restrooms.