Solving a Linear Equation with e^(x^2) Integrating Factor

In summary: Thanks for catching that. In summary, Cookie Monster found a way to solve the equation x^2 + y = x by integrating by parts. However, he got stuck when trying to integrate x^2 e^{x^2}.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I am trying to solve a linear equation and getting stuck.

[tex]y' + 2xy = x^2 [/tex]

I am using [tex]e^{x^2} [/tex] as my integrating factor and multiplying that to both sides.

Afterwards, I am able to wrap up the LHS as [tex][y e^{x^2}]' [/tex]

and I have [tex][y e^{x^2}]' = x^2 e^{x^2} [/tex]

Now all I need to do is integrate both sides and I and home free, but I haven't found a way to integrate [tex] x^2 e^{x^2} [/tex].
Using integration by parts just makes things more and more complicated. :grumpy:
I am letting u = [tex]e^{x^2} [/tex] and dV = [tex]x^2 dx[/tex]
du = [tex]e^{x^2} 2x dx[/tex] and V = [tex](x^3)/3[/tex]
I don't think I have any other choice for this.

Am I missing something really obvious or have I made a mistake along the way? Or is there another technique I can apply?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are doing integration by parts THE WRONG WAY!

let dv= exdx so that v= ex and
u= x2 so that du= 2x dx. Any time you have x to a power as a factor of an integrand, consider using that as the "u" since differentiating reduces the power.
Repeating that will eventually reduce it to a constant.

Here's a useful aid for Integration by parts : Remember ILATE, a mnemonic for "inverse trig - log - algebraic - trig - exp." When you have 2 functions, often the right way to pick u and dv is in the order they appear in ILATE.

In your case, you have an Algebraic term, and an Exponential term. In the mnemonic, A comes before E. So, you pick u and dv as the A term and the E term, respectively, as HallsofIvy has shown.

Thank you for your responses. But I am unclear on why dV should be
[tex]e^{x} dx [/tex] instead of [tex]e^{x^2} dx [/tex]

And thanks, for the tip, Gokul! I had not heard of this mnemonic. That's very cool. :smile:

It should be [itex]e^{x^2}[/itex]. The integral doesn't turn out nicely.

cookiemonster

Thank you for looking at this, Cookie. Here's the solution for y from my textbook by the way:

[tex]y = x/2 + Ce^{-x^2} - e^{-x^2} {\int \ (1/2) e^{x^2}\, dx}[/tex]

sorry about the less than perfect latex. Still learning.

To get that form, use u = x and [itex]dv = xe^{x^2}dx[/itex].

cookiemonster

cookiemonster said:
To get that form, use u = x and [itex]dv = xe^{x^2}dx[/itex].

cookiemonster

whoa! I hadn't even thought about that! interesting split!

oh, well. Thank goodness that one didn't show up on the final tonight.

To figure it out, I just noticed that letting u = e^(x^2) didn't accomplish anything, and I couldn't integrate it when u = x^2 because then dv = e^(x^2)dx, which I notice can't integrate without an x in front. But I just so happened to have an x in the u term, so I moved it over and voila.

cookiemonster

You are one smart cookie!

Here - have a bag of Oreos. It's on the house.
:biggrin:

Oops, I missed that it was e^(x^2) rather than e^x!

1. How do I know when to use e^(x^2) as the integrating factor?

The e^(x^2) integrating factor is used when the linear equation has a coefficient of x^2. This means that when the equation is in standard form, the x^2 term has a non-zero coefficient.

2. Can I use any other integrating factor besides e^(x^2) to solve a linear equation?

Yes, there are other integrating factors that can be used to solve linear equations. However, the e^(x^2) integrating factor is specifically used for equations with a coefficient of x^2 because it simplifies the integration process.

3. What is the general process for solving a linear equation with e^(x^2) integrating factor?

The general process involves multiplying both sides of the equation by the e^(x^2) integrating factor, which will eliminate the x^2 coefficient. Then, you can integrate both sides and solve for the variable.

4. Can I use e^(x^2) integrating factor to solve any type of linear equation?

No, the e^(x^2) integrating factor is specifically used for linear equations with a coefficient of x^2. For equations with other coefficients, a different integrating factor may be needed.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using e^(x^2) integrating factor to solve a linear equation?

One potential drawback is that the integration process can become more complicated when using e^(x^2) integrating factor compared to other methods. It may also be more time-consuming, so it is important to consider the most efficient method for each specific equation.