1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ignition of thermal insulator

1. Mar 10, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A new type of insulating board has been developed by that esteemed construction company Kaput Ltd. They warn that at extremely high heat fluxes it could be ignited, but they don’t think it’s very likely and it would take hours, so there’s no real risk!

As an expert on the ignitability of materials you are asked to perform a thick/thin calculation given the following data on the material:

It is considered that if 20 kW m-2 would be enough to ignite most materials (i.e. indicative of flashover fires). Perhaps Something easy to ignite would only require 10 kW m-2. Would this material ignite within ten minutes if exposed to 10 kW m-2?

2. Relevant equations

nHffh.jpg

3. The attempt at a solution

Don't know how to start this.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You could identify the given numbers with the symbols in your formulas and plug in all known values there afterwards. What can you calculate, what is missing?

4. Mar 10, 2014 #3
    What value go with what symbol?

5. Mar 10, 2014 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Don't you have a textbook or some class notes? Where did you get the formulas shown in the OP?

6. Mar 11, 2014 #5
    Yes, but in textbooks symbols are all different! Can you show me what is what symbol, I will try to solve it?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  7. Mar 11, 2014 #6

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You still aren't answering the important question: If you didn't get these formulas from your textbook, where did they come from?

8. Mar 11, 2014 #7
    From a task. It was included in task. But in my textbooks it is completely different symbols.

9. Mar 14, 2014 #8
    OK, I have done following:

Density 2400 kg m-3 ( p )
    Thermal conductivity 0.85 W m-1 K-1 ( k )
    Specific heat capacity 827 J kg-1 K-1 ( c )
    Thickness of board 7mm ( t )
    Initial/ambient laboratory temperature 18°C (T_0 )
    Ignition temperature 410°C ( T_ig )

Found alpha, beta and delta.
    Alpha = 0.003
    Beta = 1687080
    Delta = 0.0045

q_critical is given as 20 000 W / m^-2

Delta T = (T_ig - T_0) / q_critical.

Problem is finding value of L. I don't know if there is general formula for that, but I deem based on given delta we can find out something. Nonetheless, I require your help since I am so close to close even this one.

Great article about this can be found on http://www.academia.edu/1854890/Experimental_study_of_woods_under_external_heat_flux_by_autoignition

10. Mar 14, 2014 #9
    OK, I have done following:

Density 2400 kg m-3 ( p )
    Thermal conductivity 0.85 W m-1 K-1 ( k )
    Specific heat capacity 827 J kg-1 K-1 ( c )
    Thickness of board 7mm ( t )
    Initial/ambient laboratory temperature 18°C (T_0 )
    Ignition temperature 410°C ( T_ig )

Found alpha, beta and delta.
    Alpha = 0.003
    Beta = 1687080
    Delta = 0.0045

q_critical is given as 20 000 W / m^-2

Delta T = (T_ig - T_0) / q_critical.

Problem is finding value of L. I don't know if there is general formula for that, but I deem based on given delta we can find out something. Nonetheless, I require your help since I am so close to close even this one.

Great article about this can be found on http://www.academia.edu/1854890/Experimental_study_of_woods_under_external_heat_flux_by_autoignition

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted