Ignition of thermal insulator

In summary, the ignition of thermal insulators is a process in which the insulating material is exposed to a heat source and begins to burn or melt. This can occur due to a variety of factors, such as high temperatures, chemical reactions, or electrical sparks. Ignition of thermal insulators can be dangerous as it can lead to fires or release toxic fumes. Proper precautions should be taken to prevent ignition, and fire-resistant insulating materials are often used in high-risk environments.
Eva Brain

Homework Statement

A new type of insulating board has been developed by that esteemed construction company Kaput Ltd. They warn that at extremely high heat fluxes it could be ignited, but they don’t think it’s very likely and it would take hours, so there’s no real risk!

As an expert on the ignitability of materials you are asked to perform a thick/thin calculation given the following data on the material:

Density 2400 kg m-3
Thermal conductivity 0.85 W m-1 K-1
Specific heat capacity 827 J kg-1 K-1
Thickness of board 7mm
Initial/ambient laboratory temperature 18°C
Ignition temperature 410°C

It is considered that if 20 kW m-2 would be enough to ignite most materials (i.e. indicative of flashover fires). Perhaps Something easy to ignite would only require 10 kW m-2. Would this material ignite within ten minutes if exposed to 10 kW m-2?

Homework Equations

nHffh.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

Don't know how to start this.

Physics news on Phys.org
You could identify the given numbers with the symbols in your formulas and plug in all known values there afterwards. What can you calculate, what is missing?

mfb said:
You could identify the given numbers with the symbols in your formulas and plug in all known values there afterwards. What can you calculate, what is missing?

What value go with what symbol?

Eva Brain said:
What value go with what symbol?

Don't you have a textbook or some class notes? Where did you get the formulas shown in the OP?

SteamKing said:
Don't you have a textbook or some class notes? Where did you get the formulas shown in the OP?

Yes, but in textbooks symbols are all different! Can you show me what is what symbol, I will try to solve it?

Last edited:
Eva Brain said:
Yes, but in textbooks symbols are all different! Can you show me what is what symbol, I will try to solve it?

You still aren't answering the important question: If you didn't get these formulas from your textbook, where did they come from?

SteamKing said:
You still aren't answering the important question: If you didn't get these formulas from your textbook, where did they come from?

From a task. It was included in task. But in my textbooks it is completely different symbols.

OK, I have done following:

Density 2400 kg m-3 ( p )
Thermal conductivity 0.85 W m-1 K-1 ( k )
Specific heat capacity 827 J kg-1 K-1 ( c )
Thickness of board 7mm ( t )
Initial/ambient laboratory temperature 18°C (T_0 )
Ignition temperature 410°C ( T_ig )Found alpha, beta and delta.
Alpha = 0.003
Beta = 1687080
Delta = 0.0045

q_critical is given as 20 000 W / m^-2

Delta T = (T_ig - T_0) / q_critical.

Problem is finding value of L. I don't know if there is general formula for that, but I deem based on given delta we can find out something. Nonetheless, I require your help since I am so close to close even this one.

Great article about this can be found on http://www.academia.edu/1854890/Experimental_study_of_woods_under_external_heat_flux_by_autoignition

OK, I have done following:

Density 2400 kg m-3 ( p )
Thermal conductivity 0.85 W m-1 K-1 ( k )
Specific heat capacity 827 J kg-1 K-1 ( c )
Thickness of board 7mm ( t )
Initial/ambient laboratory temperature 18°C (T_0 )
Ignition temperature 410°C ( T_ig )

Found alpha, beta and delta.
Alpha = 0.003
Beta = 1687080
Delta = 0.0045

q_critical is given as 20 000 W / m^-2

Delta T = (T_ig - T_0) / q_critical.

Problem is finding value of L. I don't know if there is general formula for that, but I deem based on given delta we can find out something. Nonetheless, I require your help since I am so close to close even this one.

Great article about this can be found on http://www.academia.edu/1854890/Experimental_study_of_woods_under_external_heat_flux_by_autoignition

1. What is thermal insulation?

Thermal insulation is a material or barrier that reduces or prevents the transfer of heat between two surfaces or environments. It is commonly used in buildings, appliances, and industrial processes to maintain a desired temperature and save energy.

2. How does thermal insulation ignite?

Thermal insulation can ignite when exposed to high temperatures or a direct flame. The ignition temperature varies depending on the type of insulation material, but it is typically around 400-500 degrees Celsius.

3. What are the potential hazards of thermal insulation ignition?

If thermal insulation ignites, it can release toxic fumes and smoke, which can be harmful to human health. It can also spread fire quickly and increase the risk of property damage and loss of life.

4. How can thermal insulation ignition be prevented?

Thermal insulation ignition can be prevented by choosing appropriate materials and installation techniques that comply with safety standards and building codes. Conducting regular maintenance and inspections can also help identify potential hazards and prevent ignition.

5. What should I do if thermal insulation catches fire?

If thermal insulation catches fire, immediately evacuate the area and call emergency services. Do not try to extinguish the fire yourself, as the toxic fumes and smoke can be dangerous. It is important to have a fire safety plan in place and conduct regular fire drills to ensure everyone knows how to respond in case of a fire.