Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ignition switch coding

1. Feb 22, 2010 #1
    hi! everyone, um new to this forum and would like some help and few tips on designing a coding and decoding circuit to replace my car ignition switch with, for now all i know is the basics of logic circuit operations, still not enough to perform the function. can someone help plis!
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2010 #2

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

Do you mean to replace the physical key switch with a keypad or something? How new is the car? Some modern cars have readers that read a code from the key, in addition to the physical pin tumbler mechanism.

This sounds like a pretty ambitious project. What other projects have you done so far?
  4. Mar 17, 2010 #3
    i haven't worked on any existing projects so far as somehow I happen to miss some concerpts of logic operation, but anyway I've tried a coded magnetic doorlock using a simple screened electromagnetic coil and an armarture as well as an electric controlled gate. both projects failed as the coding circuit did give me a hard time.
  5. Mar 17, 2010 #4
    oh! I forgot to tell you that it is a 1994 BMW 325
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook