Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ignore list

1. Mar 30, 2008 #1

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[SOLVED] ignore list

I put someone on my ignore list because I didn't want to receive PMs from him.

But now I find that I can't read any post by him (though I can read previews of his thread starters).

Makes reading threads a bit odd …

Shouldn't there be an option to stop PMs from someone, but to allow me to see their posts?

(though I suppose I could temporarily un-ignore him, and then re-ignore him immdiately!)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2008 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You could allow only admins, mentors and buddies to PM you, but that would mean making everyone a buddy except that one guy. It would be a useful feature to add to the ignore list if you could choose what you wanted to ignore from people.

4. Mar 30, 2008 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, the ignore function ignores EVERYTHING by a poster, not just PMs.

BTW, if someone is being disruptive by PM (i.e., you've asked them not to correspond by PM and they are not heeding that request), sending insults, or other things that are not welcome, you can notify one of the mentors (yes, by PM...sorry). PMs are not immune to general rules of conduct and common courtesy here, and we can help deal with someone who is being disruptive...but we can't do that if we don't know they're doing it.

5. Mar 31, 2008 #4
    I'm not sure this is much of a problem. I just checked and like most places you can still view posts by a user just by clicking on the view post option, at the point the users post has been hidden. So although it's mildly more inconvenient, doesn't really seem a need to have the option to discriminate over posts.

6. Mar 31, 2008 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[solved]

aah … "View Post" … I hadn't spotted that … :redface:

Thanks, Schrodinger's Dog! :smile:

hmm … how do I mark this problem "[SOLVED]"? :rolleyes:

7. Mar 31, 2008 #6

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

8. Nov 24, 2008 #7

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Visitor Messages

Is someone on my ignore list barred from sending me VMs?

I can't see it mentioned on the Options page. :confused:

9. Nov 24, 2008 #8

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: [SOLVED] ignore list

You can always limit visitor messages to contacts and mentors in the edit options menu. As far as I can tell, the ignore list prevents you from seeing other users posts and prevents them PMing and e-mailing you. Not sure about visitor messages though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?