Ignore List: Read Posts Without Receiving PMs

• Thread starter tiny-tim
  • Start date
In summary: You can always limit visitor messages to contacts and mentors in the edit options menu. As far as I can tell, the ignore list prevents you from seeing other users posts and prevents them PMing and e-mailing you. Not sure about visitor messages though.
tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
[SOLVED] ignore list

I put someone on my ignore list because I didn't want to receive PMs from him.

But now I find that I can't read any post by him (though I can read previews of his thread starters).

Makes reading threads a bit odd …

Shouldn't there be an option to stop PMs from someone, but to allow me to see their posts?

(though I suppose I could temporarily un-ignore him, and then re-ignore him immdiately!)

Physics news on Phys.org
You could allow only admins, mentors and buddies to PM you, but that would mean making everyone a buddy except that one guy. It would be a useful feature to add to the ignore list if you could choose what you wanted to ignore from people.

Yes, the ignore function ignores EVERYTHING by a poster, not just PMs.

BTW, if someone is being disruptive by PM (i.e., you've asked them not to correspond by PM and they are not heeding that request), sending insults, or other things that are not welcome, you can notify one of the mentors (yes, by PM...sorry). PMs are not immune to general rules of conduct and common courtesy here, and we can help deal with someone who is being disruptive...but we can't do that if we don't know they're doing it.

I'm not sure this is much of a problem. I just checked and like most places you can still view posts by a user just by clicking on the view post option, at the point the users post has been hidden. So although it's mildly more inconvenient, doesn't really seem a need to have the option to discriminate over posts.

[solved]

Schrodinger's Dog said:
I'm not sure this is much of a problem. I just checked and like most places you can still view posts by a user just by clicking on the view post option, at the point the users post has been hidden. So although it's mildly more inconvenient, doesn't really seem a need to have the option to discriminate over posts.

aah … "View Post" … I hadn't spotted that … :redface:

Thanks, Schrodinger's Dog! :smile:

hmm … how do I mark this problem "[SOLVED]"? :rolleyes:

tiny-tim said:
hmm … how do I mark this problem "[SOLVED]"? :rolleyes:

Visitor Messages

Is someone on my ignore list barred from sending me VMs?

I can't see it mentioned on the Options page. :confused:

You can always limit visitor messages to contacts and mentors in the edit options menu. As far as I can tell, the ignore list prevents you from seeing other users posts and prevents them PMing and e-mailing you. Not sure about visitor messages though.

1. What is an ignore list?

An ignore list is a feature on certain online platforms that allows users to hide or block posts, messages, or notifications from specific users or sources. This means that any content from those users will not be visible to the user on their feed or inbox.

2. How do I add someone to my ignore list?

The process for adding someone to your ignore list may vary depending on the platform you are using. Generally, you can access your settings or account options and look for a section related to blocking or ignoring users. From there, you can usually enter the username or profile URL of the user you want to ignore and save the changes.

3. Can I still see posts from someone on my ignore list?

No, if you have added someone to your ignore list, their posts or messages will not be visible to you. However, they may still be able to see your content and interact with it unless you have also blocked them.

4. Can I remove someone from my ignore list?

Yes, you can usually remove someone from your ignore list by accessing your account settings or options and finding the list of ignored users. From there, you can select the user you want to remove and make the necessary changes.

5. What is the benefit of using an ignore list?

The main benefit of using an ignore list is that it allows users to filter out unwanted or offensive content from their feed or inbox. It can also help to reduce online harassment or unwanted interactions. Additionally, it can provide a sense of control over the content that users are exposed to on the platform.