1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ignoring Indistinguishability

1. Aug 17, 2007 #1
    I have been asked to find whether or not indistinguishability may or may not be ignored from a given sample of atoms at a given temperature.

The calculation I have done fine, but my question is given that the criterion for neglecting indistinguishability has to satisfy

de broglie wavelength << average distance between atoms

How much is considered 'a lot less'?

In my answer I have found the de Broglie wavelength to be a single order of magnitude less than the separation. Is this considered a lot less??

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2007 #2
    In my experience, one order of magnitude is generally a reasonable cut-off for the vague >> and << notions.

Perhaps it would be better to report how significant it is, and let the person who gave you this task to judge for themselves, since "may or may not be ignored" is completely subjective.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?