What Would Happen If We Ignored the Rotation of Earth When Using an Elevator?

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential effects of Earth's rotation on an elevator's speed during descent. One participant suggests that the forces introduced would resist an "ideal" scenario and cause the elevator to take longer than 42 minutes to reach its destination. Another participant clarifies that the rotation may not be a "clean" one and could cause the elevator to experience a wobble, potentially affecting its descent time. There is also mention of the velocity of rotation changing across radial displacements, suggesting that the elevator may not be in an inertial frame. Overall, the exact impact of Earth's rotation on the elevator's speed remains unclear and requires further discussion from more knowledgeable individuals.
kkrizka
Hi all,

Some time ago I watched this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAFUSbIs5KA".

However in it I assumed that the Earth is not rotating and I would like to know what would happen if I did not make that assumption

I do believe that if the Earth is rotating, it will affect the speed of the elevator because as it travels it changes it's radius and so will have to change its tangential speed, since the angular velocity matches that of the Earth (the walls of the shaft will prevent it going faster/slower than the Earth). Now there are two cases:

If the path of the elevator is straight through the core, the changes in the tangential speed are irrelevant, because this speed is always perpendicular to the path of motion. So it will take 42 minutes no matter what.

If the path of the elevator is at some weird angle such that a component of the tangential speed is parallel to it, then I am not sure what would happen. I am thinking that I can split the net force into two components. One would be the centrifugal force, which keeps the elevator going in circle. This force does not change the speed of the elevator, since it's perpendicular to the path of motion. The second force would be the force that does change the speed, which is due to the changes in potential energy as the elevator changes the radius. Since I am only using these changes in potential energy for my solutions, then the equations for the speed should be right and so the equation for the time should be right. However it somehow seems that some of my reasoning applies only to inertial frames, but rotation is non-inertial...

What do you think, would it take 42 minutes to use the elevator even if the Earth was rotating?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It would take more time, because the forces you introduced would resist an "ideal" scenario. Looked at another way, the elevator is not only moving linearly, but tangentally as well, thus covering more distance collectively.

Not an expert, just my thoughts...

pallidin said:
It would take more time, because the forces you introduced would resist an "ideal" scenario.
What do you mean they would "resist" an ideal scenario? I'm assuming that by ideal, you mean the scenario mentioned in my assumption (no rotation, uniform density...), but I'm not sure how a force could "resist" something. So I hope you could clarify that point.

pallidin said:
Looked at another way, the elevator is not only moving linearly, but tangentally as well, thus covering more distance collectively.
Well, that's what I though too. But then the tangential movement is always perpendicular to the gravitational force, so there is no work being done there. But then I'm unsure about the normal force, which is doing some work but then I'm not sure if it changes the speed in the direction I'm interested in (note that this force is always perpendicular to the elevator shaft).

Yeah, I see what you mean. You have my statements correct, but I think I presented them improperly. My bad.
When I was referring to rotation, it was not a reference to a "clean" rotation, rather one which has a "wobble", thus cyclically slamming the elevator against the shaft during descent.
Even still, perhaps someone more knowledgeable than I can jump in here and clarify this.

I'm not sure what the effect is but the velocity of rotation does change across radial displacements, so the elevator would apparently feel an acceleration as it goes through different radial positions because the velocity is apparently changing over different radial positions...which is why the elevator may not be in an inertial frame.

What is meant by "Ignoring Rotation Of Earth"?

Ignoring rotation of earth refers to the assumption made in certain scientific calculations and experiments where the rotation of the earth on its axis is not taken into consideration. This is usually done for simplification purposes, as the earth's rotation can have small effects on certain measurements and observations.

Why is ignoring rotation of earth important in certain scientific studies?

Ignoring rotation of earth is important in certain scientific studies because it allows for easier and more accurate calculations. By ignoring the earth's rotation, scientists can focus on other variables and factors that may have a larger impact on their experiments or observations.

What are some examples of when ignoring rotation of earth is acceptable?

Ignoring rotation of earth is acceptable in many situations, such as when calculating projectile motion, determining the path of celestial bodies, or studying the effects of gravity. In these cases, the effects of the earth's rotation are minimal and can be safely ignored.

What are the limitations of ignoring rotation of earth?

While ignoring rotation of earth may be useful in certain situations, it is important to note that it is not always accurate. In some experiments or observations, the effects of the earth's rotation cannot be ignored and must be taken into consideration for more precise results.

How does the earth's rotation affect scientific measurements and experiments?

The earth's rotation can have small effects on certain measurements and experiments, such as the Coriolis effect on weather patterns or the Foucault pendulum. By ignoring these effects, scientists may obtain slightly different results, but it may not significantly impact the overall conclusions of their studies.