1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

IIT is regarded as what kind of institute in the World

1. Mar 4, 2005 #1
    IIT is regarded as what kind of institute in the World..i wanna get an impression of what kind of image does it possess?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2005 #2
    if ur talkin about Indian Institute of Technology , its a great university and it's education is probably at par with MIT!

I only have a few american friends who have heard of it though...

Last edited: Mar 4, 2005
  4. Mar 4, 2005 #3
    I have never heard of it. I live in the US and I am only familiar with american schools, university of waterloo, university of cambridge, and university of queensland cause my friend works there, but other than that I am not familiar with any other universities. So maybe the reason I am not familiar with it is because I am not familiar with many other universities in general.

5. Mar 4, 2005 #4
    Being an American - I too have never heard of IIT.

6. Mar 4, 2005 #5
    I have some friends from India who I go to school with. According to them education in India is very hard. Now I'm not sure if
    -they are exagerrating
    -they mean hard as in the teachers are not good,
    -they mean hard because the classes move at brisk pace and are very advanced

They tend to exaggerate alot but who knows hehe. I think the main thing is to get good teachers. I have had bad teachers and it really ruins the semester.

7. Mar 4, 2005 #6
    i dont think they're exagerrating... it really is hard...

8. Mar 5, 2005 #7
    Well you dont have much of a choice of what subjects you take,
    the course syllabii are usually as flexible as an iron rod at low temperatures.:rofl:

9. Mar 6, 2005 #8
    Somewhere on the line ..i heard that its tough to make in to IIT than Mit...is that statement mean anything...

10. Mar 7, 2005 #9
    I have been preparing for iitjee 2005 for past 2 years working 10-12 hours daily but still i cannot confidently say i can crack it that's how hard it is.
    Once a american network(I think cbs) did program that if you combine several of top universities that how good iit is.
    the selection is few thousand from 2 hundred thousand.
    only thing it suffers if lack of funds for resarch from goverment it''s the only difference betwwen iit and othe rtop universities of world.

11. Mar 7, 2005 #10
    The academic program at IIT is excellant but % of publishing faculty is almost 0.

12. Mar 7, 2005 #11
    That may be the problem For India..i think it lacks funds to attract nice Proffs. or why is this so...i know there are many ppls from India who achieved a lot..But they dont prefer to do research in India......or may be India cant afford them...India is facing enormous Brain Drain Problem...

13. Mar 7, 2005 #12
    No. Serious reasearch is being done at ISI,TIFR,HRI,PRL,etc.But in IIT they stick to just teaching or writting books.Thats kind of sad.

14. Mar 7, 2005 #13
    then what can be done about it my Friend so that it can be brought at par with other universities...

15. Mar 13, 2005 #14
    Nothing.IIT shoots out brilliant engineers.They go abroad earn lot of money.we need them too.

16. Mar 13, 2005 #15

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Heman, I recommend that you and your colleagues become brilliant scientists or engineers and then return to IIT to teach and do research, even if you work outside India for some years.

At first I thought IIT was Illinois Instititute of Technology (www.iit.edu), which is another good technical school.

Which one of the seven institutes were you thinking about?

IIT Dehli

IIT Madras

IIT Kharagpur

IIT Kanpur

IIT Bombay, or Mumbai

IIT Roorkee

IIT Guwahati

There are many different programs at each institute, and one place may have particular strengths. It might be worthwhile contacting some alumni, or at least find out who is publishing in the technical journals in the field of interest.

17. Mar 14, 2005 #16

Thats Nice to SEE Astronuc.....Well i am in IIT Kanpur ....i have seen that IIT has given birth to many brilliant technicians....like at the moment President of Bell Labs. is IIT Bombay Alumni,,In Every Famous US University like MIT,Princeton there are many IIT Alumni who are proffesors there....

18. Jul 21, 2005 #17
    Astro, Eventhough there are 7 IITs they are like branches of a single university.
    Selection to all IITs is through a Joint Exam.
    So in India,when we say IIT it means all 7 as a whole.

19. Aug 26, 2006 #18

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I thought I would bring this up to date rather than start a new thread.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Institutes_of_Technology

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IIT-JEE
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graduate_Aptitude_Test_in_Engineering

Interesting.

20. Aug 26, 2006 #19
    I can just say one thing that they are not exaggerating..
    In that case i will say come to India and study here for one semester,if possible in any IIT and know the difference yourself...

Believe me most of those Indian students whom you will find at Undergraduate level in Universities like Cornell,Berkeley are possibly the ones who can not qualify the JEE..

21. Aug 26, 2006 #20
    I have heard from an Indian friend that yes, the program is much harder, but for the wrong reasons. Since in India the academic system is setup where your entire grade is determined by your final grade, so there are no homework assignments or hour exams. This means that the students end up cramming (i.e. memorizing) tons of material just to pass a test, and they do not truly learn anything.

So, while the subject matter may be more advanced, do the students truly understand the subject matter, or do they just cram a bunch of meaningless garble (i.e. formulas and procedures) into their minds to pass a test while not really having a very deep understanding?

World class scientists do not memorize a lot.....is this what Indian students are doing? I am told by many Indians that this is the case. Because I will say, memorizing a bunch of meaningless stuff without ANY understanding is hard work, but I sure as hell am not learning anything. Not only does India have a disproportionately small number of nobel laureates for its population, it has a disproportionately small number of nobel laureates for the number of indians coming to America. Is funding really the issue here, or is it the ways things are taught?

Also, is it a PROBLEM that the subject matter is blown over so quickly? It may be. Classical mechanics, for instance, is not something you can learn completely in a few days. You can't just cover all of classical mechanics in a week and then jump into more advanced topic. There is a lot of theoretical and experimental framework that went into developing these concepts, and these things should be understood also, and it certainly takes more than a couple weeks to learn this properly.

For instance, when the issue of the distance formula (distance between two points) came up, my Indian friend tried to remember the formula. I asked him, what is there to memorize? I asked him if he knew the pythagorean theorem and of course he did, but he still was trying to memorize the formula. I obviously showed him what the distance formula was and how it was derived from the pythagoream theorem and now he understands that he will never have to remember the distance formula again.

My friend is extremely intelligent, but for some reason he always tries to resort to his memory to find a 'formula' like this, even though he knows all of the concepts he needs to reason out the solution.

Take me, for instance. I could probably go into a graduate level advanced physics course and memorize a bunch of formulas and 'steps' and still do decently, given the course caters to these types of students by giving test problems that are very close to the HW. However, I sure wouldn't really understand the subject matter.

Also, have you read "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman"? Feynman talks about a similar experience when he taught in Brazil for a few months, claiming that he was pleasantly surprised when he say HS students carrying graduate level QM book, but was quickly displeased when he found that when he really picked the students brains, they didn't really understand any of it, but they sure knew lots of fancy formulas! Feynman had a large conference with many government officials to address this problem, and soon the Brazilian educational system was turned around completely. I recommend you pick this book up, just because it is a very entertaining read.

Finally, I am told that an American (even from MIT, for instance), when they go to IIT, would have a large amount of trouble at IIT, but really it's because of time constraints on the final exam. Obviously someone who crammed a bunch of stuff for the past 3 months for the sole purpose of passing that final exam will be able to work through it more quickly than someone that needs to think through the problems. If you eliminated the time constraint, the MIT student would fare much better.

I certainly do not want to base all of India's educational system on a few people's experience, however....this is just the other side of the story which I have heard from a couple people.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?