1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics IIT vs NIU for PhD in Physics?

1. Mar 25, 2009 #1
    I got admitted to IIT and NIU although I am still waiting on FSU, UTD, UK and UIC. Any of the last four I mentioned I think are better than IIT and NIU considering that I am looking for a decent program in condensed matter (mainly nano, low temp & matter phases, superconductivity). However let's assume I don't get into any other school: what should I choose? NIU or IIT?

Other thing is, I have to make a decision soon for IIT (April 1) but the other schools I'm waiting on will notify me early April. I don't want to accept on IIT and then back out if I get something better, that's not kosher, I think. I don't want to push too much in the other schools for an answer because maybe they'll just reject me right away. What should I do?

Please, any recommendations will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2009 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

IIT (as in Illinois Institute of Technology and not Indian Institute of Technology), because of its location, already has a lot of connection with Argonne and Fermilab. In terms of doing condensed matter physics, they have an active research area in superconductivity, predominantly in tunneling spectroscopy in high-Tc superconductors (do a search on John Zasadzinski). If you get an RA in this, you will do most of your research work at Argonne. They also administer several APS (Advanced Photon Source) beamlines doing work ranging from material science to biochemistry.

You didn't mention if you got accepted at the undergraduate level or graduate level. I assumed it was the latter.

Zz.

4. Mar 25, 2009 #3
    Yes, Illinois Tech is what I mean, I mentioned only American schools so it's a bit obvious, and considering research in condensed matter I couldn't really be an undergrad, undergrads barely know calculus. I really appreciate your response though and will follow your recommendation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook