Ike is heading for the Gulf of Mexico

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, there is concern over the projected track of a well-formed hurricane that may turn into a monster as it moves from the cooler Atlantic into the warm Gulf. While one European model shows it hitting Mobile, Alabama, most models predict it entering the gulf. It is currently a Category 3 hurricane, but projections show it may weaken to a Category 2 before landfall. There is uncertainty about its intensity and track, so it is advised to stay updated through the NHC link.
The exterior of our office building is finally being repaired! Ike ripped all of the bricks off a 20 foot wide, six story tall swath of a corner of the building. The building inspector declared that entire corner as unsafe from top to bottom. (Ike also filled the building with two or three feet of water; the entire building was deemed unsafe for a month.)

A lot of my neighbors have now nice new roofs, nice new fences. We were lucky, with damages of only a thousand dollars or so -- less than my deductible. At least I got a tax deduction out of it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Awesome! I live in Houston and stayed during the hurricane. It was a pretty incredible event to go through. But what is almost as incredible is how long it's taking insurance companies to take care of their customers. Everywhere around town, whether it's a 40-story office building, or 2-bedroom house, you can still spot tarps on roofs and boards in windows. It's ridiculous.