Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ill (yet again)

1. Once

11 vote(s)
    84.6%
  2. Twice

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. Three times or more

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. Sep 16, 2008 #1

Defennder

Homework Helper

Ok this sucks. This is the second time this year I'm down with a fever and flu. The first time it happened last semester it lasted for 2.5 weeks. I'm just wondering how often you guys fall ill on average annually.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2008 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Sorry to hear that you're not feeling well. Are you sure it's the flu and not a bad cold? I'm not even scheduled to get my flu shot (which I highly recommend) until October 29th.

Have you been to the doctor?

I can set a poll up for you, if you tell me what you want the poll to ask. I'm watching the season premiere of House right now though.

4. Sep 16, 2008 #3

Defennder

Homework Helper

Yeah I've been to the doc. Thanks for your concern, anyway. Got a bunch of meds and my fever is still persistent after two days. I'm just wondering if I fall ill more often than average. Well a little late to get a flu shot now I guess.

P.S. I just figured out how to set up a poll. Apparently you have to post your thread first and then post your options later.

5. Sep 16, 2008 #4

Evo

Well, that's why you should get it verifed that you have the flu, if it's a bad cold, then you can get the vaccine when you get better. The FDA released the 2008-2009 flu vaccine on September 10th.

If your fever doesn't go down after tomorrow, please go back to the doctor.

<pours hot chicken soup into Defennder's computer>

You forgot the option for less than once a year. I have gone as long as 5 years without either a cold or flu. I got my flu vaccination last year for the first time and did not get the flu.

6. Sep 16, 2008 #5
    I hate Fall and Spring :grumpy:

It's so easy to get sick in these two seasons. I got sick around Sep 20 last year (so I escaped Spring because I only get sick once per year - lots of people were sick in those two seasons) and trying best to avoid it. I was hoping to get sick in Summer because I cannot afford getting in the Fall/Spring :rofl:

It's easier to escape if you are careful.

7. Sep 16, 2008 #6

Astronuc

Sorry to hear you're ill Def. I hope get well ASAP.

I get ill less than once/yr. I think being around heavily populated areas like schools or large offices, or even large cities, one is more likely to catch something. My sibblings who work in the medical profession seem to catch some major illnesses pretty frequently.

8. Sep 17, 2008 #7

Defennder

Homework Helper

Yeah I forgot to include the "less than once/yr" option. Anyway it looks like twice a year is rather frequent. I wish I could go on for 5 years without falling ill.

9. Sep 17, 2008 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My students usually get me sick once a year. Rarely is it anything more than a mild cold...an annoyance, but nothing that keeps me from going to work and spreading it around to more people. :uhh:

Twice a year isn't too uncommon for a lot of people. A cold in the fall when exposed to all the new students at school (or the things their kids bring home from school), and again in the winter/spring when cold and flu season comes around. If you're getting sick more often than that, you should discuss it with your doctor to make sure there isn't some other underlying reason for being more susceptible to illness that you should know about...could be as simple as improving your nutrition, or more complex in terms of having some sort of immune system dysfunction, which is why you should ask a doctor.

10. Sep 17, 2008 #9

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You set your lower limit too high. Once a year was the closest answer for me, but a more accurate average would be 0.053 times per year. Or maybe 0.026 times per year. Somewhere between the two.

11. Sep 17, 2008 #10

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I got a nasty cold and pink eye while living in Quebec City this summer. (Only 3 months!) I lived downtown in a kind of guetto area and went out almost every single day. My nutrition was McDonald's, Chez Aston (poutine), Chips and Soda. That's all I really ate all summer. All those reasons lumped together probably gave me both sicknesses.

Otherwise, I rarely ever get sick because I do eat somewhat healthy and I am pretty active. I also do not live downtown. My university is on the outskit of the city and I live nearby.

I voted once a year.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?