News Illegal immigration really bad in Europe

cristo

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
That is equivalent to any one in any state in the US can move to another state at will. It just seems odd because they are such distinctly different cultures that have give them their unique identity. I would imagine that someone outside the states would be hard put to tell expalin the difference in the culture of people of North Dakota and Nebraska. With few exceptions, states don't have a big cultural identity.
It's not equivalent because your immigration policies are not set by individual states, but are set by your government. The EU does not have a government with the power to set global immigration policies.

Evo

Mentor
It's not equivalent because your immigration policies are not set by individual states, but are set by your government. The EU does not have a government with the power to set global immigration policies.
I thought you said that any citizen of any EU nation could move around within the EU without restrictions.

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Evo, the difference is that Bulgaria gets to make its own immigration policy, whereas Nebraska doesn't

Evo

Mentor
Evo, the difference is that Bulgaria gets to make its own immigration policy, whereas Nebraska doesn't
That's my question, cristo said
The problem with the European system is that anyone from any of the EU countries can move to another country and work there. These are people that, legally, you can never 'stop' from entering, even if there is not enough work for them
So what he meant to say is that some countries don't abide by this rule? That makes sense. So what can the EU do to countries that break the rules? Or is it not actually a rule, but "wouldn't it be nice to do this?"?

i think he's saying if someone wants to peddle schlock in paris, they immigrate to an EU country with a generous border policy, then migrate within the EU to wherever they were wishing to be.

Evo

Mentor
i think he's saying if someone wants to peddle schlock in paris, they immigrate to an EU country with a generous border policy, then migrate within the EU to wherever they were wishing to be.
Ah, so non EU immigrants into an EU country, then moves. Thank you!

So why aren't they (Bulgaria) kicked out of the EU? There aren't rules that everyone has to agree to, like immigration from a non EU country? Doesn't make sense.

But aren't there passport/visa restrictions? Or is Bulgaria giving these people automatic nationality? For example, if I was from Mexico and entered Bulgaria, and I tried to work in England, wouldn't I still be a Mexican National?

I'm just wondering how messed up things are there.

When I was in Europe, I could travel from country to country with ease, even with my US passport, but I couldn't just live or work there. But since I also have a French Passport, I could. (I'm a French/American dual national, btw.)

Last edited:
They didn't want any of us buying from the people selling fake goods.
Also Evo, most tour guides get a commission from the shops that they take you to. They get no commission from the street peddlers.

Here's a handy trick that will work with many (not all) peddlers. Buy a local newspaper in the local language and carry it so that the language is obvious. This will often work unless your dress (white athletic shoes, for instance) gives you away as a tourist.

mege

Most of my friends are immigrants and the majority of them had tried many other countries prior to Canada. My one friends dad was emigrating from Bulgaria to America as a Chemical Engineer, they wouldn't allow him but Canada let him in no problem... perhaps his job skills were more in demand as you say but I doubt this is true for the vast majority of immigrants here in Canada. Most of them have very limited education. I assume you're from Germany so perhaps that's the main obstacle. You would need a very good reason to emigrate from Germany to any country almost.

For instance if I wanted to go to France it would be close to impossible for me since I'm Canadian. My real father is actually from France to boot. Why should they accept me as an immigrant when I come from a well off nation?

I wasn't speaking about illegal immigrants just about immigration in general so it's a bit of a derail but just something I was thinking about. We don't really have an illegal immigration problem because a)we let people in quite frequently and easily and b)we don't border any nation with low standards of life where transportation to Canada would be easy.

It's easy to travel from Afria/Asia to Europe, compare that to getting from there to Canada, or from Mexico to Canada. I think most of our illegals are Americans actually.
Just background on my story: I'm a US citizen, but my maternal grandparents and 2 pairs of great-grandparents (1 from each of my parents-sides) were Canadian citizens or US-Canadian citizens. Some from both sides of my family immigrated through Canada and eventually to the US. My non-Canadian immigrant ancestors can all be traced to colonial America. My German-immigrating friend is an American with a degree in Middle-School Education (which she's not using), she has a job at a retail distributor there now.

My greater point: I think the rosy outlook that you have, as a Canadian, is because you don't have the illegal immigration problem. It's hard to help aclimate someone that is in your country illegally, there's no checks, no controls, and it often leads to bad situations.

On the part I bolded - why would this be the case? I don't understand the reasoning behind NOT accepting an immigration request from someone from a well-off country. Are immigrants ONLY supposed to be from lower-class countries? (for lack of better term)

Evo

Mentor
Also Evo, most tour guides get a commission from the shops that they take you to. They get no commission from the street peddlers.

Here's a handy trick that will work with many (not all) peddlers. Buy a local newspaper in the local language and carry it so that the language is obvious. This will often work unless your dress (white athletic shoes, for instance) gives you away as a tourist.
He didn't take us to any shops. He was hired by GE. He didn't want us buying anything anywhere. He warned us not to go to shops. His job was to get us from point A to point B unharmed.

That is a nice trick - anything that helps one "blend-in".