Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Illusions

1. Nov 19, 2004 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2004 #2
    I've seen this before, good trick.

4. Nov 19, 2004 #3

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I missed 3 of them.

There was a show on tv awhile ago which demonstrated how easily you can overlook things if you are concentrating on something else.

They played a video showing people (about 10) running around and throwing the ball at each other. Half of them had white shirts, the other half blue and you had to carefully count the number of times the ball was tossed.

Halfway the film there was apparently a big guy in a big monkey costume walking between the players. It totally did not see him (which was the idea). :eek:
    Ofcourse I saw the monkey in the replay, it was filling the space of 3 persons and was even waving at me. Amazing.

5. Nov 19, 2004 #4
    Most people miss the f's in of? Why? Where's the optical illusion? If you're counting f's, what else are you concentrating on besides f's?

I was about to answer 6 but just before clicking the button I realized (since I was looking for a trick) that the "puzzle" didn't ask how many f's there are, it asks how many F's. There's only 1 of them.

6. Nov 19, 2004 #5
    Exactly my thoughts. However, I've tested this on a few people and most of them don't count f's the way we do. Weird...

7. Nov 19, 2004 #6
    I'm sure that was a suitably controlled experiment, right?

Was there any correlation between the number of f's found and the quantity of beer consumed?
    :biggrin:

8. Nov 19, 2004 #7
    I think it either has something to do with the word "of" not being a noun, verb or adjective, small, and common, or the "f" sounding live "v".

I counted 6 this time but only 3 when I first saw the sentence about 10 years ago.

9. Nov 19, 2004 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I guess I've trained myself to proofread well. I found all 6 the first time through. Expecting there must be a trick of some sort, I went back through two more times to make sure I didn't miss an F. They actually made it pretty easy to find f's though. Aside from the first few words, the rest of the words are lacking in tall letters other than f's, so you don't have to read them at all, just skim the tops of words for the f's sticking up above the other letters.

10. Nov 19, 2004 #9

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, this was pretty surprising to me - that people would miss the f's in 'of' !!

It's easier to screw misread something like :

11. Nov 20, 2004 #10
  12. Nov 20, 2004 #11
    that is absolutely amazing.

13. Oct 26, 2005 #12
  14. Oct 26, 2005 #13

matthyaouw

Gold Member

That dragon is incredible. I'm printing one off, but it probably won't work as well as that one.

15. Oct 26, 2005 #14

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Done! It works, but only if you have one eye closed, otherwise depth perception interferes and it doesn't work. This thing is so cool.

16. Nov 6, 2005 #15

matthyaouw

Gold Member

17. Nov 6, 2005 #16
    Hmm, I counted 6. For the angry man I could not see it when I took a few steps back :cry:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2005
  18. Nov 6, 2005 #17

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I think the designer of eyetricks.com needs to make the Next button more prominent. I almost missed it.

19. Nov 6, 2005 #18

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?