Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Illustrator or 3D Modeler?

1. Oct 28, 2015 #1
    For a Mechanical Engineering student, which one is the most needed skill? Illustrator (which can create a cutaway illustration of a car such as below image) or a 3D modeler (which can create a 3D surface model of a car)?

autowp.ru_ferrari_550_gts_maranello_12.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2015 #2

billy_joule

Science Advisor

Illustrator is for graphic design and is no use for engineering.
    If you are interested in auto engineering I think most manufacturers use NX:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siemens_NX

All of the major solid modelling packages can do cutaways.

4. Oct 28, 2015 #3

boneh3ad

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That a bit of an exaggeration. I use it pretty extensively for making graphics for scientific publications, though it doesn't require me to know how to use it all that well and certainly isn't worth learning instead of a parametric solid modeling tool.

5. Oct 28, 2015 #4

billy_joule

Science Advisor

Yes, I guess it is.
    Come to think of it, I've used Corel Draw (a vector graphics editor, like Illustrator) twice in my engineering degree, once to arrange DXF's (exported from solidworks) for laser cutting and once for poster design. I don't know why we were required to use Draw for DXF prep, we had access to more appropriate 2D drafting software.
    Time spent on corel draw was probably 1/1000 of the time spent on SW over the degree. Pretty much all mechanical engineering job listings mention CAD, I've never once seen any vector graphics editors mentioned.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook