1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I'm a high school student and I want to be a Theoretical Astrophyicist. Need help.

1. Apr 28, 2009 #1
    I want to be a theoretical physicist. I'm 15 and a sophomore in high school. I'll be graduating next year (3 year program) when I'm 16. It's not a minimun program, I'm actually on the most distinguished graduation program (Texas Scholar). I just get many credits in a short amount of time. Since this year I've made all A's excluding my English class in which I made an 85. I will have as many advanced maths and sciences as possible next year. I'm not at the top of my class, so I don't think I will be able to get a scholarship to a university. I know I need to be strong in math and science, especially Physics, to be a theoretical astrophysicist. So, I found my mom's old college Algebra and have been learning concepts from it for about a month. (I wrote an equation for the sums of two summations. Here's the URL: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=309945&highlight=summation+notation). I'd like to get a PhD from an Ivy League college, but I don't know if I will be able to transfer from a junior college to a state university and then to an Ivy League. I'm aware that Theoretical Astrophysicists don't make a fortune for their work, but that's okay. I'd much rather have answers to my questions and love my job rather than wonder and be miserable at work. Does anyone think I would be able to get any good scholarships to a university anywhere or in the state of Texas? Does anyone know if there any scholarships for graduating early anywhere or to a university in Texas? Does anyone think I could get a PhD from an Ivy League college or transfer possibly from an average university to an Ivy League college eventually?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2009 #2
    Re: I'm a high school student and I want to be a Theoretical Astrophyicist. Need help

Welcome to the club

4. Apr 29, 2009 #3
    Re: I'm a high school student and I want to be a Theoretical Astrophyicist. Need help

Why graduate early? Take AP, or equivalent and just graduate with everyone else. It'll give you more time to make yourself stand out. Plus, college is a large social adjustment, you don't want to make the leap early.

5. Apr 29, 2009 #4

diazona

Homework Helper

Getting a PhD from an Ivy League university - even getting into a graduate program at an Ivy League-caliber university - is VERY DIFFICULT. (experience talking :-p) I can't claim to be an expert on grad school admissions but I would guess that one component of preparing yourself is to get your undergraduate degree at a pretty good university. It doesn't have to be an Ivy League or equivalent; there are a wide variety of colleges, including some state schools, that will give you an adequate preparation, but overall, roughly speaking, going to a better/higher ranked/more prestigious college gives you a better chance of getting into an Ivy-caliber PhD program.

Since you seem to be concerned about scholarships: remember that you can often get financial aid from the college you decide to attend (as an undergraduate). You may wind up not needing a scholarship Even some of the most prestigious (and most expensive) schools offer excellent financial aid packages. (again, experience talking :-p), so don't eliminate any college from consideration just because you're worried about finances.

6. Apr 29, 2009 #5

eri

You're in a top scholars program, graduating with almost a 4.0, and worried about getting into a college? You certainly shouldn't have to start at community college, and you can probably get a full ride (or nearly) to many schools. UT Austin or Rice should be options even if you don't get a full ride, and there are many other schools out there that would be happy to consider you.

Yes, you can get into an Ivy League grad school from a state school, or a liberal arts college, or a private school. But anyone is going to find it difficult - it's a matter of high grades and test scores, great recommendations, and research experience - no matter where you go to college, try to spend your summers getting involved in research projects.

7. May 3, 2009 #6

I go with Feldoh... take advanced classes in school... i hope you can fulfill this plan...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook