Middle-Aged Man Embraces Lycra for Commuting

• Thread starter mgb_phys
  • Start date
In summary, a "middle aged man in lycra" has a new job that allows him to cycle 10 miles to work. He recently bought a new bike to avoid wearing out his road bike, and his wife is supportive of his mid-life crisis. He used to cycle to work for a year but no longer has the motivation since he now works from home.
mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
A "middle aged man in lycra" http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-10965608

The new job means I can cycle about 10mi each way to work.
Ok so I did buy a shiny new bike (although only carbon forks - but it does have hydraulic disk brakes) and I only bought it so I wouldn't wear out my nice road bike.

I did ask my wife about mid-life crisis, Porsches and mistresses - and apparently I'm allowed to look at Porsches all I want!

Physics news on Phys.org
mgb_phys said:
a "middle aged man in lycra" http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-10965608

the new job means i can cycle about 10mi each way to work.
Ok so i did buy a shiny new bike (although only carbon forks - but it does have hydraulic disk brakes) and i only bought it so i wouldn't wear out my nice road bike.

I did ask my wife about mid-life crisis, porsches and mistresses - and apparently I'm allowed to look at porsches all i want!
lol.

A few years back I cycled to work for a year. Probably the best I could have done! Now I work from home, so the motivation really isn't there...

1. What is the purpose of a middle-aged man embracing Lycra for commuting?

The purpose of a middle-aged man embracing Lycra for commuting is to improve their comfort and performance while cycling. Lycra is a stretchy and breathable material that allows for better movement and reduces chafing, making it a popular choice for cyclists.

2. Is Lycra necessary for commuting as a middle-aged man?

No, Lycra is not necessary for commuting as a middle-aged man. It is a personal choice and depends on individual preferences and needs. Some may find Lycra to be more comfortable and beneficial for longer or more intense rides, while others may be fine with regular clothing.

3. Can Lycra be worn for other activities besides cycling?

Yes, Lycra can be worn for other activities besides cycling. It is commonly used in other sports and activities such as running, yoga, and weightlifting. Lycra provides a snug fit and allows for a full range of motion, making it a popular choice for many athletes.

4. How do I choose the right size of Lycra for commuting?

When choosing Lycra for commuting, it is essential to consider the fit and comfort. It should not be too tight or too loose, and it should allow for comfortable movement. It is recommended to try on different sizes and brands to find the best fit for your body type.

5. Is Lycra suitable for all weather conditions?

Lycra may not be suitable for all weather conditions. It is designed to be breathable and moisture-wicking, making it ideal for warm weather. However, it may not provide enough insulation in colder temperatures. In such cases, it is recommended to layer up with other clothing items to stay warm while still benefiting from the comfort and performance of Lycra.