Official: PhD Student Now - Teaching Exercise Sessions for Physics Courses

In summary, Dimitri has been granted a part-time assistantship which will allow him to start his PhD in theoretical particle physics. He will also have to teach exercise sessions for several courses, including Solid State and Radiation Physics, Electrodynamics and Special Relativity, and Quantum Mechanics. Classes start next week and Dimitri has already had positive meetings with the professors involved. There is a great atmosphere and he is excited about the opportunity. Additionally, he has received congratulations and well wishes from others.
Kalimaa23
It's official! As of 1st of October I'll be granted a part-time assistentship, which will enable me to start my PhD. A bunch of research groups have already expressed their interest, but my first choice will remain theoretical particle physics.

This means that I will also have to teach the exercise sessions for a couple of courses : Solid State and Radiation Physics, Electrodynamics and Special Relativity and finally Quantum Mechanics. Classes start next week. I've already had a few meeting with the professors involved and I must say that the atmosphere is really good. I like it already :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
congratulations!@

Far out! Ausgezeichnet!

Congratulations, Dimitri!

Congratulations that is awesome!

Great news after great news!

Congrats!

You go get 'em Dimitri!

scott1 said:
When you get your P.hd will your username change to Dr. Dimitri Terryn?

You might also want to read this:
http://www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/dec/essay.phd.html

Nah, I won't be doing that.
Thanks for the link, some good advice there!

Congrats man. I hope you get a good monthly pay. If you don't, try IWT, they pay very good and your lunch is FOR FREE :rofl:

marlon

marlon said:
Congrats man. I hope you get a good monthly pay. If you don't, try IWT, they pay very good and your lunch is FOR FREE :rofl:

marlon

Maybe later, it's certainly an option. This year this wasn't possible because the deadline was to close to my graduation.

Dimitri Terryn said:
Maybe later, it's certainly an option. This year this wasn't possible because the deadline was to close to my graduation.
yes indeed, anyway, veel succes

marlon

That is good news! Best wishes!

1. What is a PhD student?

A PhD student, or Doctor of Philosophy student, is an individual who is pursuing a doctoral degree in a specific field of study. This degree typically requires extensive research and the completion of a dissertation, and is considered the highest level of education one can achieve.

2. What is the role of a PhD student in teaching exercise sessions for physics courses?

The role of a PhD student in teaching exercise sessions for physics courses is to assist in the teaching and learning process for undergraduate students. This may include leading review sessions, holding office hours, grading assignments, and providing additional support to students in understanding difficult concepts.

3. What qualifications does a PhD student have to teach exercise sessions for physics courses?

PhD students are typically required to have a strong background in the subject they are teaching, as well as previous experience in teaching or tutoring. They also undergo training and supervision from their professors to ensure they are prepared to effectively teach and support students.

4. Can a PhD student teach exercise sessions for physics courses without a PhD degree?

In most cases, a PhD student must have completed at least a master's degree in the subject they are teaching in order to lead exercise sessions for physics courses. However, some universities may allow advanced doctoral students to teach under the supervision of a faculty member.

5. How does a PhD student benefit from teaching exercise sessions for physics courses?

Teaching exercise sessions provides PhD students with valuable experience in teaching and mentoring, which is beneficial for their future academic careers. It also allows them to develop a deeper understanding of the subject matter and may contribute to their own research and dissertation work.