Help Needed: Dealing with a Failed Chemical Reaction Engineering Course

In summary: If you have, try to explain again, but this time, give them the full picture.In summary, the individual is seeking advice regarding their struggles with a course in Chemical Reaction Engineering. They have failed consistently for the past 3 terms and are now on academic probation. They believe the university's course curriculum is unfair and that they have been cheated out of passing the course due to strict implementation and final exams administered by the Academic Vice President. They are at risk of being kicked out of their program and are feeling depressed and frustrated. They have a good overall academic record but fear their degree will be ruined by this one course. They are seeking solutions and wondering if they can transfer to a different school to complete their degree. They are advised
apigban
First of all, I'm asking here for advice since I've seen how the members of this forum answer in a mature manner (I've read some problems like mine in the forum, however, I've not contributed some). your advice is very much appreciated (please don't mind the different field of study)

I've been taking this subject (Chemical Reaction Engineering) in my program (BS Biotech and Chemistry) and I have failed consistently for the past 3 terms (half of a semester). I'm on academic probation for my fourth take of the course. Final examinations are scheduled on the 21st and Its har to accept that I'm a failure.

It's quite unfair for me, the university has a very stupid course curriculum, and (my first take of the course) was the very first time that I've encountered advanced chemical engineering, and engineering mathematics.

During my second take of the course I've managed to get good grades (not the best but above average), however, the chemical engg department had implemented a directive wherein the Academic Vice president of the University will be the one to make the final exams for our class since CRE is a critical subject for chemical engineering students.

For two terms I feel cheated and just outright failed on the course (because of the final exams), and now I would be KICKED OUT of my Program because of a SUBJECT THAT DOES NOT INVOLVE BIOTECH and CHEMISTRY. I have 23 UNITS left, and I'm about to finish my undergraduate thesis, however this just ruins every dream I've had.

I'm not a chemical engineering student to experience their strict implementation. I'm very depressed, and I've no one to talk about this, one peer of mine, after doing 5 years of chemical engineering transferred to Industrial Engineering just because of this CHEMICAL REACTION ENGINEERING course.

I have a good running average for the past 4.5 years, I've consistently managed to have an A- or a B+. A- turned to B+ when I've taken CRE (A- = 3.30 i think).

Being kicked out, I can't even think how much time and money I've wasted for this degree. I still believe that I did not deserve to be included in a class of chemical engg students that are being screened because of their performance on the board exams.

How would you deal with this if you are in my situation? I'm still looking for solutions before my life is ruined by this course.

Physics news on Phys.org

Can you transfer to a school that doesn't have that require class and complete your degree there?

Have you discussed this problem with your adviser or your department chairperson?

What advice do they offer?

G01 said:
Have you discussed this problem with your adviser or your department chairperson?

What advice do they offer?

This is a must. See what can be done and explain your situation (if you haven't already).

Dear student,

I am sorry to hear about your struggles with the Chemical Reaction Engineering course. It sounds like you have put in a lot of effort and dedication into your studies and it is understandable that you are feeling overwhelmed and frustrated.

Firstly, I want to assure you that you are not a failure. Failing a course does not define your abilities or intelligence. It is simply a setback that can be overcome with the right support and strategies.

I understand that the course curriculum and implementation may have played a role in your difficulties. In this situation, I would recommend reaching out to your academic advisor or the department head to discuss your concerns and see if there are any alternative options or accommodations that can be made for you. It may also be helpful to speak with your professors and ask for their feedback and advice on how you can improve in the course.

Additionally, I would suggest seeking out tutoring or extra help from your university's academic support center. They may have resources or workshops specifically for the Chemical Reaction Engineering course that can aid in your understanding and preparation for exams.

It is also important to take care of your mental health during this challenging time. Seek support from friends, family, or a counselor if needed. Sometimes talking about our struggles with others can provide a new perspective and help us come up with solutions.

Lastly, remember that your worth and potential should not be defined by one course or degree. You have accomplished a lot in your academic journey and have a bright future ahead of you. Don't let this setback discourage you from pursuing your dreams and goals.

I wish you the best of luck in your final exams and hope that you are able to find a solution that works for you. Keep pushing forward and never give up. You are capable and resilient.

1. What are some common reasons for failing a chemical reaction engineering course?

There are several reasons why a student may fail a chemical reaction engineering course. Some common reasons include a lack of understanding of key concepts, insufficient study habits, inadequate preparation for exams, and difficulties with time management.

2. How can I improve my understanding of the course material?

One way to improve your understanding of the course material is to actively engage in class by asking questions and participating in discussions. You can also seek help from the professor or a tutor, and make use of additional resources such as textbooks and online tutorials to supplement your learning.

3. What steps can I take to improve my study habits?

To improve your study habits, it is important to have a designated study space free from distractions, create a study schedule and stick to it, break down the material into smaller chunks, and review your notes regularly. It is also helpful to take breaks and incorporate different study techniques, such as flashcards and practice problems.

4. How can I better prepare for exams in this course?

Preparing for exams in a chemical reaction engineering course may involve reviewing lecture notes, completing practice problems, and attending review sessions. It is also important to understand the format and types of questions that will be on the exam and to manage your time effectively during the exam.

5. What resources are available to help me succeed in this course?

There are many resources available to help you succeed in a chemical reaction engineering course. These may include office hours with the professor, tutoring services, study groups, online resources such as videos and practice problems, and review sessions before exams. It is important to take advantage of these resources and seek help when needed.