I'm accepted as a PhD student. Interview for funding/RA -- Any Advice?

In summary, if you are not currently attending the institute, it is not relevant what your research area is. However, if you are interviewing for a position, it is helpful to have published work that the head of the lab has sent you.
Rlaneholliday
First post, so I'm not entirely sure if this is the right place to post this.
I have been accepted as a PhD student at the Stevens Institute of Technology. It's my ideal institute as my area of interest is in nanofabrication/nanophotonics and their lab is top tier in this regard. I was not offered funding upon my acceptance, instead I will be "interviewing" for an RA position under Dr. Strauf (the head of the Nanophotonics Lab). I was wondering if anyone else has gone through a similar experience? If so, what can I expect? I have been asked to present my past research to the group (which is in low energy, heavy ion implantation (not exactly applicable to the work done in the lab)), and to follow up on published work that he has sent me. I can give more info about the situation if you'd like.
Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Rlaneholliday said:
First post, so I'm not entirely sure if this is the right place to post this.
I have been accepted as a PhD student at the Stevens Institute of Technology. It's my ideal institute as my area of interest is in nanofabrication/nanophotonics and their lab is top tier in this regard. I was not offered funding upon my acceptance, instead I will be "interviewing" for an RA position under Dr. Strauf (the head of the Nanophotonics Lab). I was wondering if anyone else has gone through a similar experience? If so, what can I expect? I have been asked to present my past research to the group (which is in low energy, heavy ion implantation (not exactly applicable to the work done in the lab)), and to follow up on published work that he has sent me. I can give more info about the situation if you'd like.
Thank you!
I had the same flow during my PhD/RA age. Basic idea is what you must be demonstrably helpful in the lab in the period between PhD acceptance and RA interview. Past experience is largely irrelevant - research area mismatch just give a convenient excuse to do not grant you RA position if you are not helping in lab.

Likes Rlaneholliday
trurle said:
I had the same flow during my PhD/RA age. Basic idea is what you must be demonstrably helpful in the lab in the period between PhD acceptance and RA interview. Past experience is largely irrelevant - research area mismatch just give a convenient excuse to do not grant you RA position if you are not helping in lab.

Thank you for your response! I may have miscommunicated in my original post, I am not currently attending their institute. I am in my final semester as an undergraduate in Texas and the Institute is in New Jersey. I'm interviewing for funding before even accepting the institutes admission offer.

I hope this clears things up!

1. What is the purpose of an interview for funding/RA as a PhD student?

The purpose of an interview for funding/RA as a PhD student is to assess your qualifications, research interests, and potential fit for the program or research project. It also allows the funding/RA committee to get to know you better and determine if you are a good candidate for the position.

2. How should I prepare for an interview for funding/RA as a PhD student?

To prepare for an interview for funding/RA as a PhD student, you should research the program or research project you are applying for, familiarize yourself with the faculty members and their research interests, and practice answering common interview questions. It is also important to dress professionally and be well-prepared with any necessary documents or materials.

3. What types of questions can I expect in an interview for funding/RA as a PhD student?

The types of questions you can expect in an interview for funding/RA as a PhD student may vary, but they will likely focus on your academic background, research experience, and future goals. You may also be asked about your specific interest in the program or research project, as well as any relevant skills or experiences you have.

4. How can I make a good impression during an interview for funding/RA as a PhD student?

To make a good impression during an interview for funding/RA as a PhD student, it is important to be confident, articulate, and enthusiastic about your research interests and goals. You should also be well-prepared, listen actively to the interviewer, and ask thoughtful questions. Additionally, maintaining a professional demeanor and showing genuine interest in the program or research project can help make a positive impression.

5. What should I do after an interview for funding/RA as a PhD student?

After an interview for funding/RA as a PhD student, it is important to follow up with a thank-you note or email to the interviewer, expressing your appreciation for the opportunity to interview. If you are selected for the funding/RA position, you should also be prepared to negotiate any terms or conditions, such as salary or start date. If you are not selected, it is still a good idea to maintain a positive relationship with the interviewer and keep them updated on your progress and future endeavors.