Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I'm afraid of reincarnation

1. Sep 23, 2006 #1
    What if you died and came back as something else. You know what would be the worst thing to come back as? A baby sea turtle. You see the gauntlet those poor guys have to navigate to get to the sea before the sun dries them up? I mean the trip looks hard enough even without all the evil creatures waiting to rip your flippers off. There are crabs that grab you and drag you, kicking and screaming, into their dens. Sea birds with wicked sharp beaks that swoop down and bite limbs off and flip you through the air. Vultures and Coati that are just salivating at the thought of ripping your shell off your back.
    Their life is a nightmare. First you gotta break outta your egg, only to find your self buried alive. So you dig your way out and face all the predators and you have to run from them. RUN?
    1. you ever tried to run in sand before?
    2. you ever tried to run with flippers?
    3 you're a turtle.
    If you can't come back as either an otter, an eagle or a dolphin I don't want anything to do with reincarnation.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2006 #2
    But they're so cute! At least to begin with anyway. ;)

4. Sep 23, 2006 #3
    and crunchy.

5. Sep 23, 2006 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

That made me sad. :frown:

6. Sep 23, 2006 #5
    I know, I couldn't find the remote so had to watch a documentary. Thought I'd bring everyone else down too.

7. Sep 23, 2006 #6

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Don't worry, if you come back, give me some prearranged sign, and I'll do you the favor of killing you. Repeatedly.

No trouble, really. :rofl:

8. Sep 23, 2006 #7

turbo

Gold Member

No worries. tribdog has been so bad, he's coming back as an intestinal parasite in a vulture. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Ooh, that karma stuff is BAD!

9. Sep 23, 2006 #8
    really though, as a vulture's intestinal parasite i'd always have a place to stay, nice and warm. and I'd be doing exactly what makes intestinal parasites happy. in fact intestinal parasite sounds okay to intestinal parasites. if you know what I mean. running for your life across Hell Beach still sounds worse.

10. Sep 23, 2006 #9

turbo

Gold Member

You've got a point. Nice warm digs, 3 hots and a cot...the scenery won't be great, but what the hell! You'll probably have vestigial eyes anyway. :rolleyes:

11. Sep 23, 2006 #10
    plus every flatworm I've ever seen looks crosseyed.

12. Sep 23, 2006 #11

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was part of a group that walked about 6 miles of shore (near my hometown) for several nights each winter, looking for Olive Ridley nests (buried typically under a few feet of sand, so you had to look for turtle tracks to locate a nest) that we would then relocate to a hatchery. The Olive Ridley is an endangered/threatened species of sea turtle that nests in India (among a few other places), and has been suffering rapidly decreased mortality rates from urban encroachment.

The important thing with relocating a nest (typically containing many tens of eggs) is to replicate the depth of the original nest as accurately as possible, the reason for this being that the incubation temperature has a very strong effect on the sex of the turtle. Our little group saved several hundred turtles each season.

The "turtle walks" were fun!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2006
  13. Sep 23, 2006 #12
    I just heard something about that with aligators. one temp gave girls and just one degree higher meant boys. It was a really sharp boundry too I was suprised. There isn't a half and half boy/girl grey area. It's all one or the other.

Edit. by half and half boy/girl grey area I meant a temperature where the egg could produce either a boy or girl. I didn't mean a temperature where you get hermaphrodite alligators.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2006
  14. Sep 23, 2006 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Been watching Animal Planet, huh? :biggrin:

The good news is if you don't survive the gauntlet, you can try again coming back as something else really quickly. I'm going to try to put my request in early to come back as a pet kitten...talk about living a great life! You play for a while, go take a nap, eat, go use the litter box, let someone else clean it up after you, take another nap, go play some more, get some treats, back to sleeping.

15. Sep 23, 2006 #14
    cat hair makes my eyes itch. so kitten reincarnation would have some problems.

16. Sep 23, 2006 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:uhh: Yeah, I guess coming back as a cat if you have cat allergies might be a problem. Boy, you're really screwed on all the really good things to be reincarnated as. You're doomed to be a sea turtle, aren't you?

17. Sep 23, 2006 #16
    it's my damn job. the past two days have been devoted to computer work so I'm on the clock, sitting on the couch, I've got my monitor next to the TV and the keyboard on my lap, mouse on the cushion to my right, remote control to my left. It was to my left, I can't seem to find it at the moment. anyway, what I'm trying to say is i'm watching a lot of TV and I like to share what I learn. I should get started on that work stuff. I've just gotten paid for 16 hours of work and haven't opened the file yet. Not good.

18. Sep 23, 2006 #17
    I'm not allergic to turtle hair.

19. Sep 23, 2006 #18

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I once had the good fortune to be swimming at a beach when baby sea turtles began to crawl out of the sand a few yards from our blankets. Trib has it right, even with us swimming along to try and protect them, the birds and every thing in the water was snapping them up like they were popcorn. Poor little guys. I think some made it out to sea.

20. Sep 23, 2006 #19

Danger

Gold Member

I don't for one bloody minute believe in reincarnation, but if it ever happens I'm coming back as the brass pole in a strip club.

21. Sep 23, 2006 #20
    unfortunately it'll be the brass pole that's horizontal along the base of the bar where everyone rests their feet.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?