I'm Alright, but Scared.

• Thread starter recon
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

JAKARTA, Indonesia - The world's most powerful earthquake in 40 years triggered massive tidal waves that slammed into villages and seaside resorts across Asia on Sunday, killing an estimated 3,000 people in five countries.
Click http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/ap/20041226/ap_on_re_as/indonesia_earthquake [Broken] for more.

_40665113_detailedmap.gif

Brunei, is ok, as you can see. (pst..Brunei talking here. I'm located north of Borneo. See that pint sized piece of land somewhere in the centre...that's me.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

CNN is estimating 1000 deaths.
Tha number seems kind of small to me for an 8.9 quake.

story.car.ap.jpg

plover
Homework Helper
:eek: magnitude 8.9 !! :eek:

I'm glad you are safe!

Don't forget to have a rubber ring at hand in case of emergency :wink:

I'm so scared that I even misspelled 'all right'.

Evo
Mentor
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
WOW!!! That is one powerful quake.

I'm glad that you're okay recon.

Tsu
Gold Member
Oh! recon!! Please stay safe! Do you want me to rev up the RV and come get you? You'll be safe with us!! :smile: We love you and I'm praying for your country's safety. OK? :!!) :!!) :!!)

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
You're driving to Brunei? I had better put the really big tires on the RV.

Tsu
Gold Member
Don't worry about the tires, dear. It's a Mach VI Supersonic Turbo RV - PLUS!!!!111 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: The wheels never even touch the road!!!!1111

glad to see you got off okay...

i was so scared when i felt the effects of that earthquake, but i feel so sad, because my friend's house was flooded, half the house has gone, cause he lives right near the beach...

but what makes me even more sad is that right near the beach during the weekends these little children play cricket, when i walk near the beach on sundays, i usually see them, but today they all died.. :frown: but luckily, i didn't go there today..

about 2000 died in my state alone in what has turned out to be the largest earthquake in 40 years...

they are still searching bodies and identifying them, so i am hoping my friends aren't among the dead..

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hey recon, we just drove by the Home Depot and waved back.

Last edited:
Tsu
Gold Member
klusener said:
glad to see you got off okay...

i was so scared when i felt the effects of that earthquake, but i feel so sad, because my friend's house was flooded, half the house has gone, cause he lives right near the beach...

but what makes me even more sad is that right near the beach during the weekends these little children play cricket, when i walk near the beach on sundays, i usually see them, but today they all died.. :frown: but luckily, i didn't go there today..

about 2000 died in my state alone in what has turned out to be the largest earthquake in 40 years...

they are still searching bodies and identifying them, so i am hoping my friends aren't among the dead..
OMG!!! klusener!!!! I'm so glad you are OK!!! Where do you live? Did you actually feel the quake itself? I'm so sorry this has happened :frown: and, oh my gosh, all of those children... :cry: :cry: Let us know if there is any way we can help. OK?

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Klusener, that's terrible. We will be thinking about you all and hoping for the best. Lots of help is on the way.

People live right down on the ocean edge, so no wonder so many of them die.
Population increase only leads to many more disasters.
How did Bangladesh went thru this one?

very few deaths, only in double figures i think..

a picture of the some of the dead in a chennai hospital

028105.jpg

i really don't think you can actually capture the feel of the tsunami in this pic, but this is the aftermath as the water was leaving.....

028108.jpg

Evo
Mentor
klusener, that is so terrible, but I am glad that you are ok. I can't even imagine what people there are going through.

I assume that people there do not have insurance for rebuilding? Being a naive American, I thought homeowners insurance was universal, but my best friend lives in Sicily where they also have violent earthquakes, and he explained to me that people there don't have insurance on their homes. I was amazed.

Evo
Mentor
The pictures of the children are heartbreaking.

Could nuclear detonation underwater cause tsunami?

amazingly enough, there are statues of gandhi and other people right next to the beach, none of them were even harmed.. also there are two memorials for famous chief ministers of the state, none of those memorials were also harmed... the water just gushed past these places..

Tsu
Gold Member
I am truly sitting here crying looking at those pictures. My heart is just breaking into little pieces.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Klusener, where are you located? How strong was the quake at your location?

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Evo said:
I hope Moni is alright, but I believe he lives in Bangladesh, they weren't hit too hard.
[/url]
Moni lives in Chittagong, which is located at the coastal side of Bangladesh..

Tsu
Gold Member
Oh, NOOO!!! Did they get hit?? I have to go check a map!