I'm Alright, but Scared.

• Thread starter recon
  • Start date
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Re: Another thought, why do these countriesnow suffering from the tsunami only get attention from the West when there is a major crisis.

I was thinking openly, which in public is sometimes risky. I was not refering to the aid now, but generally thinking about the ways of the world over the last 40+ years from personal experience.

I am having second thoughts about the question given the context of the thread.

If anyone finds it offensive, I will remove it.

Evo
Mentor
Astronuc said:
India, Sri Lanka, Indonesia and Thailand are a quite different situation to Afghanistan.
Yes, not just climate, don't many women in Afghanistan still wear the full burka?

The only point I was trying to make was for people to give some thought to the cultural sensitivities.
I would hope that the disaster workers would know what is appropriate to hand out. The donations of clothes taken in, although innapropriate for the above countries could still be used in other countries by these agencies. I would wonder why more sommon sense was not used.

Nevertheless, some of the areas hit are the most remote and furthest from modern urbanized area
One of the saddest things is that some of the small remote islands had some of the most isolated and ancient tribes on earth, they are thought to have been mostly, if not completely wiped out.

so perhaps older traditional customs preclude some Western clothing.
Again, this I see as the fault of the disaster workers, although I know that they are doing their best under extreme conditions.

In fact one aid organization said that cash (monetary) would be preferable so that they can buy local clothing and products that would be more acceptable.
I think the majority of those donating have donated money because it is the easiest way, requires the least effort. I donate clothes and furnishings to a couple of local charities here that do front door pickups regularly. If I had to haul this stuff myself, I would never do it.

I spent a couple of months without a job or a place to live once. If someone was nice enough to give me something I thanked them. If I couldn't use it I found someone who could or I didn't take it at all. Never take something only to throw it away.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
klusener said:
that's exactly how i feel, evo.. infact a couple of friends of mine are planning to collect some of the clothes and send it to other countries where they will atleast accept it, currently i am leaning towards the foolish side in my opinion of these people..
Especially when one considers that nearly all US clothing is made in Asia. :biggrin:

matthyaouw
Gold Member
Ivan Seeking said:
Especially when one considers that nearly all US clothing is made in Asia. :biggrin:
That reminded me of this:
(Its a parody, don't take it seriously please)
http://www.b3ta.com/board/4110029

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Some countries have requested that donor countries "quit sending doctors"; they have too many. Sri Lanka's relief people on site are now "flooded with material goods and money". Help is finally getting to the remote areas.

Today they found some people who have been floating in a raft ever since the disaster.

What I can't imagine is how anyone can do the terrible work of recovering and identifying the bodies. What a job!!! I can't even imagine... What would month, or even a day of that be like?

again, i don't know whether to be surprised or not at the Andaman and Nicobar islands.. our government is not letting any NGOs in there, because some of the most primitive societies in the word live there, and the gov. is afraid that once you let western society in, it is going to ruin the native society, for example, you know as soon as you let those people in, as fast as one can say hello, christian missionaries will be in there trying to convert the people to christianity and the gov. wants to protect the customs of the people... But at the same time, there are thousands of people needing help, of course it is not as if they are being completely denied help, the goverment itself spends a lot of money helping them, from the Prime Minister Relief Funds, which people from all the world donate to.. but the issue here is that western orgs, like Doctors without Borders are not allowed, i already stated why.. For me, I find this acceptable as long as the people living there are treated and provided with help by our own government, but if I hear any reports that are contrary this, which would mean that the people are suffering due to ignorance, then maybe i would push for other orgs coming in there. But I have not heard anything supporting this, so I have not changed my mind.