Im an EE looking to for speciality and combination advise

In summary, the speaker is currently in their third year of studying Electrical Engineering but has a growing interest in Power Engineering and Control Systems. They are considering getting a second degree in Civil or Mechanical Engineering in order to have more opportunities to work in the field. They have also considered getting a Master's degree and taking deficiency courses, but are unsure about this option. They are open to advice and hope that their interest in other fields is not a sign that they do not enjoy Electrical Engineering. They also mention that any field work required for their job would be on-the-job training and that typically, large projects like buildings and air-crafts involve multiple engineers rather than one engineer handling all aspects of the design.
theman408
Im right now entering my third year in Electrical Engineering and I've grown some interest in the area of Power Engineering. For me it's intriguing to know what's behind designing the wiring of a house or a commercial building and how all of the distribution works. Not only in buildings but in Aircraft and other means of transportation. My secondary option for speciality is Control Systems cause i find robotics quite an interesting field.

Here lies a small problem, I am thinking of going for a second BS in either Civil or Mechanical Engineering because i want to be able to get out in the field more often and travel alot. Like for example, in the case of designing the electrical system of a house, i want to be able to take part in the design of the house in addition to the electrical layout.

I was able to make some estimations in how much time it would be take me to complete a second degree and in both cases it would take from 2 to 2.5 years. I've considered the MS option of civil or mech and taking the deficiency courses but something in me is quite unsure of that.

Any type of advise is very much appreciated. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
i just hope this isn't a sign that i don't like EE.

anything? :(

Any field work required as part of the job would be on the job training. In any developed country there should be laws requiring that workers have the appropriate training for any work with must be carried out outside of the office.

Typically projects like buildings and air-crafts typically have a large number of engineers involved. I don't see the possibility that they will have one engineer who is a civil design engineer one day and the next the electrical design engineer.

1. What specializations are available for EE majors?

Some common specializations for EE majors include power systems, telecommunications, microelectronics, control systems, and signal processing.

2. Can I combine multiple specializations within my EE degree?

Yes, many universities offer the option to combine specializations within an EE degree. However, it is important to check with your academic advisor to ensure that this is possible and to plan your course schedule accordingly.

3. How do I choose which specialization to focus on?

It ultimately depends on your interests and career goals. Researching the different specializations and talking to professionals in the field can help you make an informed decision. It is also a good idea to take introductory courses in different specializations to get a feel for each one.

4. Are there any resources available to help me decide on a specialization?

Yes, many universities have career centers or academic advisors who can assist you in choosing a specialization. Additionally, professional organizations such as IEEE offer resources and networking opportunities for students to explore different specializations.

5. Is it beneficial to have a combination of specializations in the job market?

Having a combination of specializations can make you more versatile and marketable in the job market. It can also open up opportunities in interdisciplinary fields. However, it is important to ensure that the combination of specializations aligns with your career goals and interests.