Help! I'm Struggling with Trig f(x) = -2sin3x - 4cos3x

• Thread starter Physics is Phun
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, to express the given expression in terms of the general sine function, we can rewrite it as -1(-2sin3x - 4cos3x) and then use the identity a\sin x + b\cos x \equiv R\sin(x - \alpha) where R is the length of the hypotenuse of a right triangle with sides -2 and -4, and \alpha is the angle at which the hypotenuse is directed. By expanding the right hand side and equating coefficients, we can find the values of R and \alpha.
Physics is Phun
ok i have no idea how to do this, and I'm pretty sure I should.
i have to express this in terms of the general sine funtion

f(x) = -2sin3x - 4cos3x

I don't even know where to start

Physics news on Phys.org
Expressions of that format [tex]a\sin x + b\cos x[/tex] can be rewritten in terms of a sine only for positive values of a and b.

However, you have negative values for a and b, so i'd start by multiplying throughout by -1.

Then you could say:

[tex]a\sin x + b\cos x \equiv R\sin(x - \alpha)[/tex]

Expand the right hand side of the equation and equate coefficients to find R and alpha.

Last edited:
Work out a right triangle with -2 and -4, where the hypothenuse is [itex] A = \sqrt{(-2)^2 + (-4)^2} [/itex] directed an angle [itex] \phi [/itex].

What is the equation for trig f(x)?

The equation for trig f(x) is -2sin3x - 4cos3x.

What does the number 3 in the equation represent?

The number 3 represents the frequency of the sine and cosine functions in the equation. This means that the functions will repeat every 3 units on the x-axis.

How do I graph this equation?

To graph this equation, you can plot points by substituting different values for x in the equation and then connecting the points. Alternatively, you can use a graphing calculator to graph the equation.

What is the amplitude of this trig function?

The amplitude of this trig function is the coefficient of the sine or cosine function with the larger coefficient. In this case, the amplitude is 4.

How can I solve for x in this equation?

You can solve for x by using algebraic techniques such as factoring, the quadratic formula, or trigonometric identities. It may also be helpful to use a calculator to find specific values of x.