Troubleshooting Alternating Series: Rearranging & Applying L'Hopitals Rule

In summary, the speaker is struggling with their algebra and derivative skills while studying alternating series. They have trouble understanding solutions to problems and applying concepts like L'Hopital's Rule. They are specifically confused about how to take the derivative of 2^{x-1} and are seeking clarification on this topic.
kdinser
Again, my rusty algebra and derivative taking is getting me into trouble.

This is from the section on alternating series. Overall, I think I'm getting the concepts, but some of the solutions to the problems are leaving me scratching my head.

[tex]\sum \frac{(-1)^{n+1}(n+1)}{ln(n+1)}[/tex]

How did the solutions manual go from:

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}\frac{(-1)^{n+1}(n+1)}{ln(n+1)}[/tex]

to this?
[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}\frac{1}{1/(n+1)}[/tex]

If someone could just tell me what concept they are using to rearrange this, I'd happily go look it up myself. I dug through my old algebra book and a second calc book and can't find anything like this.

Another problem that I'm having this morning is with an example problem in the same chapter.

They are applying L'Hopital's Rule to test for convergence

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}\frac{x}{2^{x-1}}[/tex]

Again, looking back through past chapters, I can't find a single example of how to take the derivative of
[tex]2^{x-1}[/tex]

I think I'm just forgetting something obvious here.

Physics news on Phys.org
kdinser said:
Again, looking back through past chapters, I can't find a single example of how to take the derivative of
[tex]2^{x-1}[/tex]

I think I'm just forgetting something obvious here.
[tex]\frac{d}{dx} (a^x) = a^x ln(a)[/tex]

First of all, don't worry about your rusty algebra and derivative skills. It's completely normal to forget some concepts over time and have to refresh your memory. The important thing is that you are trying to understand and learn.

Now, for the first problem, the solutions manual is using a property of logarithms: ln(a^b) = b*ln(a). Using this property, we can rewrite the denominator ln(n+1) as ln((n+1)^1). Then, we can use the power rule for logarithms to rewrite it as 1*ln(n+1). This allows us to cancel out the (n+1) in the numerator, leaving us with 1/ln(n+1). This is where the 1/(n+1) in the denominator comes from.

For the second problem, you are correct in thinking that we need to take the derivative of 2^{x-1}. This can be done using the chain rule, where we treat 2^{x-1} as the function and x-1 as the input. The derivative of 2^{x-1} is ln(2)*2^{x-1}. Then, we can apply L'Hopital's Rule to get the limit as x approaches infinity of ln(2)*2^{x-1}/1. Since the numerator and denominator both approach infinity, we can use L'Hopital's Rule again to get the limit as x approaches infinity of ln(2)^2*2^{x-1}/1. And since ln(2)^2 is a constant, we can simply ignore it and get the limit as x approaches infinity of 2^{x-1}/1. Finally, we can simplify this to the limit as x approaches infinity of 2^x.

I hope this helps clarify the solutions for you. Keep practicing and don't be afraid to ask for help when needed. Good luck!

1. What is an alternating series?

An alternating series is a series in which the terms alternate in sign, meaning that one term is positive and the next is negative. An example of an alternating series is 1 - 1/2 + 1/3 - 1/4 + 1/5 - ...

2. Why is it important to rearrange an alternating series?

Rearranging an alternating series can help in determining the convergence or divergence of the series. In some cases, rearranging the terms of an alternating series can make it easier to apply mathematical tests or rules to determine its convergence.

3. When should we apply L'Hopital's rule to an alternating series?

L'Hopital's rule should be applied to an alternating series when the series does not converge using other tests such as the ratio or root test. This rule is useful in finding the limit of a series that involves fractions or rational functions.

4. Can we always rearrange an alternating series?

No, not all alternating series can be rearranged. Only absolutely convergent alternating series can be rearranged without changing the sum. If the alternating series is not absolutely convergent, rearranging the terms can change the sum of the series.

5. How can we determine the convergence of an alternating series using L'Hopital's rule?

To determine the convergence of an alternating series using L'Hopital's rule, we take the limit of the ratio of the absolute value of the terms of the series. If the limit is less than 1, then the series converges absolutely. If the limit is greater than 1 or it does not exist, then the series diverges. If the limit is equal to 1, then the test is inconclusive and other tests must be used.