I'm bad at listening to girls vent

• Thread starter FlexGunship
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about the difficulties of venting and empathizing with others. The speaker had trouble finding the balance between asking genuine questions and making sympathetic remarks, leading to a conversation that was perceived as "a lot of work" by the other person. The conversation also touched on the speaker's previous experience with venting and their approach to helping others process their emotions. Overall, the conversation highlights the importance of effective communication and understanding in relationships.
leroyjenkens said:
Ok, this is interesting to me, because I'm always open to learning more about women so I can be more compatible with them; however, it makes little sense to me. Why would a woman not want a solution to her problem? Or at least a suggestion to help mitigate the severity of it?
I don't have a copy of the book with me to check but what I remember it asserting is that the process of venting to someone else is the first step a woman will take in finding a solution. It's something like an informal laying out of the problem to get it clear in her mind. Premature interruption of this process is intrusive and counter-productive. Once she has clarified the picture of what's bothering her, a solution, what she needs to do, will pop into her head eventually.

Men generally don't vent until they're at their wits end and have thought through all possible angles. It's like cern and neutrinos: they don't publish the fact they have a problem till they've checked everything they can think of and really, really need outside input. That being the case, it doesn't occur to them that women aren't doing the same thing when they vent.

Physics news on Phys.org
zoobyshoe said:
I don't have a copy of the book with me to check but what I remember it asserting is that the process of venting to someone else is the first step a woman will take in finding a solution. It's something like an informal laying out of the problem to get it clear in her mind. Premature interruption of this process is intrusive and counter-productive. Once she has clarified the picture of what's bothering her, a solution, what she needs to do, will pop into her head eventually.
That doesn't sound like any women I know, including me. I love how people will pick the traits of a few people they've met and pretend it applies to everyone.

Men generally don't vent until they're at their wits end and have thought through all possible angles. It's like cern and neutrinos: they don't publish the fact they have a problem till they've checked everything they can think of and really, really need outside input. That being the case, it doesn't occur to them that women aren't doing the same thing when they vent.
My ex-husband was overly emotional, very clingy, touchy-feely and would even burst into tears when frustrated, made me crazy. Broke up with another guy that was the same.

People that write such books should preface it with the fact this is

1)based on a few people I know, but it will sell!

2) it's mostly made up, but it will sell!

Evo said:
That doesn't sound like any women I know, including me. I love how people will pick the traits of a few people they've met and pretend it applies to everyone.
Whether or not the book actually applies in general, all you're doing here is countering what you claim is one person's experience with another person's experience. If the first person's experience can't be credited due to it's being based exclusively on the people they know, then neither can the second's.

My ex-husband was overly emotional, very clingy, touchy-feely and would even burst into tears when frustrated, made me crazy. Broke up with another guy that was the same.
I'm sorry to hear this, but what does it have to do with the concept of men not venting until they're at their wits end? It just sounds like they were so sensitive that every little problem drove them to the brink.

People that write such books should preface it with the fact this is

I think that people who criticize books should read them first.

1)How can you be sure I've correctly characterized what it says? I've stated I'm not completely certain I am remembering it properly. Even if I assured you I had it in front of me and was telling you exactly what it says, how would you know I wasn't completely misunderstanding it?

2)If you haven't even read it, how can anything you assert about why it's selling be anything other than assumption?

I've never possessed the patience, nor the desire, to abandon everything I'm doing simply to listen to another's problems. The only times that I've ever actually been the recipient of a vent is if I sometimes am interested in hearing what that particular person has to say, but the type of people whose company I enjoy are not the type to sit me down and harrow me with their petty issues.

zoobyshoe said:
Whether or not the book actually applies in general, all you're doing here is countering what you claim is one person's experience with another person's experience. If the first person's experience can't be credited due to it's being based exclusively on the people they know, then neither can the second's.

I'm sorry to hear this, but what does it have to do with the concept of men not venting until they're at their wits end? It just sounds like they were so sensitive that every little problem drove them to the brink.

I think that people who criticize books should read them first.

1)How can you be sure I've correctly characterized what it says? I've stated I'm not completely certain I am remembering it properly. Even if I assured you I had it in front of me and was telling you exactly what it says, how would you know I wasn't completely misunderstanding it?

2)If you haven't even read it, how can anything you assert about why it's selling be anything other than assumption?
Don't be bothered too much by her comment; she was just ranting, and will figure it out after she let's out her steam. :biggrin:
A good summary for those who can't be bothered to read it Here.

Evo said:

1) The guy has a phd and is a relationship counselor.
2) The guy has had two marriages.
3) The guy has counseled counselors in counseling.

-I think he does know what he's talking about and hence will sell!

@Zoobyshoe: A more well reasoned criticism can be found here

Both for and against are a remarkably good read.

Last edited:
Enigman said:
Don't be bothered too much by her comment; she was just ranting, and will figure it out after she let's out her steam. :biggrin:

author John Gray said:
...women enjoy talking for its own sake...
:rofl:
I know a lot of men who do the same.

John Gray said:
...and if they[women] cannot find any real issues to concentrate on, then they will find some random other things to worry about.
:rofl:
This is why I dread when things get slow at work, as I know EVERYONE is going to start nit-picking random things.

Sally; "Betty is looking at me. Make her stop doing that."
Om; :rolleyes:

George; "Do you remember when Betty hit me, and you didn't do anything about it?"
Om; "Wasn't that 7 years ago?"
George; "But you didn't do anything about it, did you."
Om; "I didn't see blood. And why did you wait until the next day to tell me about it?"
George; "Because I was upset."
Om; "I see."
George; "So what are you going to do about it?"
Om; "Retire early."

It sounds like Gray collected a bunch of stereotypes and wrote a book about them. Of course people are going to buy such books. People love having their stereotypes reinforced.

I would put my new boss in the female category, as he can spend 30 minutes talking about something, whereas my response would be to simply roll my eyes. We share an office, and the first time I experienced one of his "chats" with another employee, I was amazed. I told him I was awed by his communication skills, and told him that if I'd been in his seat, I'd have told the employee to "get a life, and get out of my office" and slammed the door behind them.

Gale said:
This sounds slightly misogynistic...

I'd just like to point out that it's not only women who need to vent and when we do vent, it's not necessarily to be empowered or not. [...]

It certainly isn't my attempt to be misogynistic. In fact, I don't think I've ever been called that. Sexist, certainly; I will readily admit to a deeply-held belief that there are fundamental differences between the genders that don't manifest as raw physical disparity.

That being said, I appreciate the feedback.

zoobyshoe said:
It is the insight into the female psyche offered by the book, Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus.

According to the author, nothing creates more friction between men and women than men not understanding that women aren't laying out their problems to have them solved, and women not understanding that when men lay out their problems they're asking for a good solution.

So, it's ironic you find Flex's attempt to be evolved misogynistic.

Yes! That's the book! It was given to me as a gift alongside Neil Strauss' The Game. Feel free to draw whatever conclusions you wish from that, however I'll never reveal the gift-giver. For the record, I've only read a few pages of The Game.

zoobyshoe said:
That's not what happened. He assumed his expressions of genuine interest would be appropriate but they were rebuffed as making the conversation "a lot of work".

Oh, and for what it's worth, there was no follow-up discussion. Things seemed to just be "normal" the next day. The trauma of the whole thing clearly affected me more than it did her.

At the risk of sounding sexist...

Ladies, please note that there are men out there who are desperately trying to make/keep you happy. These men are going to great lengths to find the best ways to communicate with you. They're reading books, asking for opinions, and genuinely trying to break old habits and form new ones.

They suppress instinct. They focus. They value everything you say immensely. The cavalier way in which you might dismiss those efforts can be a bit devastating.

Constructive criticism is welcome!​

zoobyshoe said:
The reason I'm offering resistance is because you used the word "misogynistic". It's abundantly clear to me that Flex does not hate women. The sentence(s) you don't like might be construed as slightly sexist, rather than misogynistic, by an uncharitable reader, but Flex is not someone who deserves to be read uncharitably. You're indulging in moral entrepreneurship at Flex's expense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_entrepreneur

Flex isn't standing in the way of equality for women.

Thank you, Zooby.

zoobyshoe said:

Yes, and this conflicts with my inquisitive nature. I'm too interested in the facts and ideas being presented, and the discussion is not meant to be an exchange of facts and ideas. At least it wasn't in this case. I think this is where I went wrong. I identified "the vent", but my response was too conversational.

zoobyshoe said:

Yeah, I don't really have a "vent" inside of me to let things out. My mom actually pointed this out to me once (in my adult life). She said something along the lines of, "you never want to talk about anything." To which I said, "not if I already have a plan."

I think this captures what you're saying. The closest thing I get to venting is a pragmatic discussion about a problem I have. I mean, sometimes I tell stories about things that upset me ("this moron cut me off at such-and-such...") but only if I have a comical witticism to add to the end; otherwise it strikes me as a bit of a waste.

Anyway, I guess I'll just try to do better next time...

EDIT: A brief anecdote.

I once got in trouble for noticing that I could map the phases of the moon and the rate of consumption of ice cream in the house on the same time axis.

This is not the only time I had gotten in trouble for observing... correlations.

Last edited:
Enigman said:
1) The guy has a phd and is a relationship counselor.
2) The guy has had two marriages.
3) The guy has counseled counselors in counseling.

-I think he does know what he's talking about and hence will sell!
:rofl: Well, I don't. I have psychologists in my family. I'm very familiar with psychologists. Seems the more garbage people like this author spouts, the more they will sell. It's human nature.

Enigman said:

As a side note, I really liked this summary... however, now I'm unsure if I'm supposed to or not.

FlexGunship said:
As a side note, I really liked this summary... however, now I'm unsure if I'm supposed to or not.

Read the criticism too and then decide, you should know both the sides of arguments before deciding something...

This conversation is a lot of work, I want to hang up now.