What milestone have I reached in my career?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mind
In summary: Zz's insanity? In summary, Ivan has reached a new level in his career and is looking forward to taking a vacation.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
As I sit here working and popping in on PF from time to time, I find myself busting at the seams and unable to keep this to myself any longer. According to those who would know [and have the contacts], after twelve long, often gut wrenching, once or twice terrifying, always sleep deprived, often lonely years of working in my field, it seems that I have officially reached a new plateau - the top of the food chain! My latest project seems to have established me as a top level industrial systems integrator. Going into this project I knew that it would be a real stretch, but it never occurred to me that other people were watching in this way.

As of today I have the last and most difficult of five networks online. So for one, for the first time in two months I may dare to breathe a little, and, due to yet a second conversation to this effect today, this also seems to be a key moment in my career. So, please forgive my bragging but it feels like a party is going on in my head! Hopefully this means that eventually I can aim for something closer to a normal life again. Since I started my business over seven years ago, eighty hour weeks have been the norm. For example, I have had two days off in the last two months and have worked 14 to 16 hours a day...and loving it!. :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
WOOHOO! Way to go Ivan! :approve:

So, can I quit my job and come live with you and Tsu now? o:)

Congratulations! Great news!

there's only one word for an occasion like this.

Awsomeness.

Don't forget to send in the Merry Maids, mind parties can be so messy!

Congratulations, on a well deserved pat on the back! Might as well as add a "atta" boy too!

Good on ya, pal! It goes to show that with skill, perserverence, and sacrifice, even short, grey, funny-looking guys with weird eyes can be successful.:biggrin: Congrats!

That's great Ivan! Hooray! I always imagine you sequestered away, working tirelessly in a little shed, impatient helper-cat nipping at your toes. Now you can come out and get some sunlight on your grey alien hide!

Attaboy, Ivan!

Congratulations, and Well Done!

Well, you know, there is only just ONE way for you to celebrate this: YOU HAVE TO GO TO DISNEY WORLD!

<now, show of hands for people who were not expecting me to say that>

Join me, Evo, and Moonbie this January, why don't you? I suppose Tsu could come along too if she wants to. :)

Zz.

Congrats Ivan ! Good for you. :approve:

Congratulations Ivan! Undoubtedly well deserved :cool:

That`s fantastic news, after reading some of your posts where you were stressed beyond belief, i`m really pleased you are getting some positive feedback.

GOOD WORK FELLA

Thanks all. Now if I don't screw something up before the start-up it will be a great week!

Zapper, one of the things on my list of things to do in life is to go to Disneyworld. I had hoped to time this with a shuttle launch, but perhaps I waited too long. :frown:

Ivan what is it that you do? 'Industrial system intergrator' sounds interesting...

Ivan Seeking said:
Zapper, one of the things on my list of things to do in life is to go to Disneyworld. I had hoped to time this with a shuttle launch, but perhaps I waited too long. :frown:

Note to Evo and Moonbie: If our January trip goes well and we don't kill each other, let's make an effort to get Ivan and Tsu to go to Disney World in early Sept. next year! It will be another unofficial PF Gathering!

:)

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Note to Evo and Moonbie: If our January trip goes well and we don't kill each other, let's make an effort to get Ivan and Tsu to go to Disney World in early Sept. next year! It will be another unofficial PF Gathering!
Zz.
I don't think we should wait for next September. C'mon Ivan and Tsu, join us in January! I think the more witnesses we have to Zz's insanity in Disney World, the more fun we'll have retelling the stories in lavish detail! :biggrin: Tell Tsu we're celebrating with green apple martinis!

Congrats Ivan! It sounds like you should take a vacation.

Adn I think that Zz, Evo, and Moonie all need to go to Disneyland instead because it's closer to Tsu and Ivan... and me.:wink:

Moonbear said:
I don't think we should wait for next September. C'mon Ivan and Tsu, join us in January! I think the more witnesses we have to Zz's insanity in Disney World, the more fun we'll have retelling the stories in lavish detail! :biggrin: Tell Tsu we're celebrating with green apple martinis!

I wholeheartedly agree! What better reason to join us than to see me make a complete fool of myself in front of everybody? And I'll try my darndest to drag Moonbie and Evo into this too.

Just think of the pictures you guys would have!

Zz.

TheStatutoryApe said:
Congrats Ivan! It sounds like you should take a vacation.
Adn I think that Zz, Evo, and Moonie all need to go to Disneyland instead because it's closer to Tsu and Ivan... and me.:wink:

I'm going to Disneyland in June! You won't have an excuse not to meet up with me then!

Zz.

There are plenty of SoCal PFers too. Have you already been rallying them to meet you?

I haven't stepped into the Disneymania thread yet.

TheStatutoryApe said:
There are plenty of SoCal PFers too. Have you already been rallying them to meet you?

Sorry, there's only so many I can turn into pillars of salt at one time. So I'm working through this slowly. :)

I haven't stepped into the Disneymania thread yet.

How can you resist? Do you have willpower? :)

Seriously, it would be a load of fun to meet up with other PF members there. I'm up for it. Unfortunately, this is the wrong thread to talk about this, so if you wish, we can carry this in you-know-where. Right now, this thread is about Ivan's terrific job and impending success (of which I have no doubt will come).

Zz.

Anttech said:
Ivan what is it that you do? 'Industrial system intergrator' sounds interesting...

Its a mix of electronics and other engineering applications; lots of programming, and...how can I say this...figuring out how make different technologies work together. So it is very interesting! No two jobs are the same and I even get a chance to do some real physics from time to time. The flip side is that there can be a lot of liablity. In fact, recently I realized that one of the first jobs done for the state is now beyond the six year limit for liablity. This was really good to know since it was a pumping station designed to prevent about four-hundred homes from flooding. Imagine how big of a bill could add up if the system failed! I have also been on the hook for as much as $20,000-30,000 per hour on a job or two. So it can get pretty intense at times.

As for Disney World, there is no way that we could make it in Jan but I do want to make the trip, so when we can...

Nice job! Sounds very interesting to say the least. I love engineering communication solutions. I think the scope of what you do is much greater than just comms tho.

Do you use IP at the network layer for communications a lot? Are you even conserned with this? or are you hardcoding devices to communicate over serial connections?

Sounds like a very interesting Job...

You 3ft tall creatures sure do work a lot O.O

Congrats!

Anttech said:
Nice job! Sounds very interesting to say the least. I love engineering communication solutions. I think the scope of what you do is much greater than just comms tho.

Do you use IP at the network layer for communications a lot? Are you even conserned with this? or are you hardcoding devices to communicate over serial connections?

I do some IP but usually for the main offices to monitor systems. Until recently IP wasn't really considered to be considered reliable enough for industrial apps. Then we have about ten proprietary protocols used over about a half dozen hardware platforms. We still do some serial comms. In fact I even have units in remote locations talking over a modem at 9600, and there is an old protocol called Modbus that can found buried within newer ones. But as is the case with most tech, the field is changing very quickly.

Sounds a lot like microprocessor based relaying.

Are you involved in writing protocols for data exchange?

No, with rare exception this is all applications level stuff.

edit: there have been a couple of times that I wrote my own protocol [very simple stuff by most standards] but that's certainly not a primary function of the job.

Last edited:
Woohoo! Congratulations, Ivan!!11 :biggrin: :approve:

I see so you are porting what you do to propriatry layer 6 and down protocols...

Mostly that is correct. And in my case the goal is usually either process control, instrumentation, or data collection, so the networking is a growing requirement for industry but still a secondary pain in the butt...I mean, concern, from my POV. :biggrin:

In fact, as the technology evolves I will probably have to worry about this aspect of things less and less; that is, as the various technologies used start to perform as advertised, and as standards like ODVA are implemented more generally.

Last edited:
Math Is Hard said:
working tirelessly in a little shed,
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: My 400 sq ft shed with DSL, two phones lines, satellite TV, a microwave oven, a 1 inch water line, 22KW of power, new high efficiency windows, and comfortable furniture?

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: My 400 sq ft shed with DSL, two phones lines, satellite TV, a microwave oven, a 1 inch water line, 22KW of power, new high efficiency windows, and comfortable furniture?
My vision of you heading off to work was more like that of Yahoo Serious in Young Einstein. Ever see that? Remember when he decides to split the atom? He heads off to the little shed with a chisel in hand and a few minutes later you hear
cool person.. cool person.. cool person..

BOOOOM!
:rofl: :rofl:

Math Is Hard said:
My vision of you heading off to work was more like that of Yahoo Serious in Young Einstein. Ever see that? Remember when he decides to split the atom? He heads off to the little shed with a chisel in hand and a few minutes later you hear
cool person.. cool person.. cool person..
BOOOOM!
:rofl: :rofl:
Seriously though, twelve years ago when I tried the first variation on my business, I started with a 1.5KW limit for power in my then semi-converted barn. The first winter down here I couldn't run the heater when I tried to solder or the soldering iron wouldn't get hot enough, and it was often near or below freezing during the winter months. So it was a real bugger in the beginning. The next year I got a wood stove and things improved quite a bit, but now I'm quite comfortable, and so far, no serious booms. Tsu does have instructions that if something happens, don't look, just call 911. :biggrin:

Last edited: