1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Im confused by this derivative (problem taken from differential equations for dummies

1. Jul 6, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The derivative comes from a step in solving a differential equation from the book differential equations for dummies. (if anyone has the book it is in the second chapter page 27).

d[U(t) y]/dt=U(t) dy/dt+ dU(t) y/dt

2. Relevant equations

The original differential that was trying to be solved was dy/dt+2y=4 and he was trying to find the integrating factor, i dont know if that helps at all.

3. The attempt at a solution

The reason i dont understand it is because if i were to take the derivative of U(t)*y which im pretty sure is what it is asking i would think that it would simply be the derivative of U(t) times y (dt/dy= U'(t)*y)

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2009 #2

Cyosis

Homework Helper

Re: Im confused by this derivative (problem taken from differential equations for dum

If y would be constant with respect to time your original differential equation would be somewhat trivial wouldn't it be? It would probably not even have a solution. The function you're differentiating is this:

[tex]
    \frac{d U(t)y(t)}{d t}
    [/tex]

Use the product rule.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook