Understanding Tides: Earth's Spinning and its Impact

In summary, the question is asking about the cause of tides and why they occur. The two options given are the moon orbiting the Earth once a day or the Earth spinning on its own axis once a day. The correct answer is (b) because the moon orbits the Earth longer than a day. If the Earth stopped spinning on its own axis, there would be no tides and the circulation of ocean waters would decrease. This is because the rotation of the Earth is what causes the gravitational pull that creates tides. Without this rotation, the tides would cease to exist.
kimpak
I read the book and looked through some sites but I don't seem to understand. I have a lab soon and I have to answer this question.

What must be responsible for the pattern of tides that you see? Why?
a. The moon orbits the Earth once each day.
b. the Earth spins on its own axis once each day.

I think it's (b) because i think the moon orbits the Earth longer than a day...right?

and another question:
Hypothesize what would happen if the Earth stopped spinning on its own axis. Which of the following would occur? (More than one answer is possible) Why?
a. The pattern of tides would remain the same.
b. There would be no tides.
c. The temperature of the ocean would change.
d. Circulation of ocean waters would decrease.

I would think it would be b and d...but I'm not too sure why.
THank you soooo much for helping~

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it necessary for those to be "either-or" questions?

kimpak said:
What must be responsible for the pattern of tides that you see? Why?
a. The moon orbits the Earth once each day.
b. the Earth spins on its own axis once each day.
I think it's (b) because i think the moon orbits the Earth longer than a day...right?

Think carefully. If the Earth rotates around its own axis once per day and the moon can orbit around Earth once per day, would there be tides? In fact, will some people in some places of the world ever see the moon?

What causes tides on Earth?

Tides on Earth are caused primarily by the gravitational pull of the moon and the sun. The moon's gravity is stronger because it is closer to Earth, which results in larger tides. The sun's gravity also plays a role, but to a lesser extent.

How does the Earth's rotation affect tides?

The Earth's rotation is an important factor in the formation of tides. As the Earth rotates, it creates a bulge of water on the side of the Earth that is facing the moon, and a bulge on the opposite side, due to the centrifugal force. This leads to the formation of high and low tides.

Why do tides occur twice a day?

Tides occur twice a day because of the moon's gravitational pull. As the Earth rotates, the moon's gravity pulls the bulge of water towards it, creating a high tide. As the Earth continues to rotate, the bulge moves away, causing a low tide. This process is repeated as the Earth rotates, resulting in two high and two low tides each day.

Do tides have an impact on marine life?

Yes, tides have a significant impact on marine life. Many marine organisms, such as crabs and mollusks, rely on the tides to feed and reproduce. Tides also help to circulate nutrients and oxygen, which is essential for the survival of marine plants and animals.

How do tides affect human activities?

Tides can have both positive and negative impacts on human activities. On the positive side, tides can be harnessed for renewable energy through tidal power plants. However, tides can also cause flooding in low-lying coastal areas and can make navigation difficult for boats and ships. It is important for humans to understand and monitor tides to minimize their potential negative impacts.