Solve 1D Infinite Potential Well: Find Energy Levels & Wavelengths

• Thread starter weds
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses three problems in physics related to energy levels, temperature, and the Fermi-Dirac distribution function. The first problem involves calculating energy levels for an electron in an infinite potential well, while the second problem involves determining the number of energy states in a specific material at a given temperature. The third problem requires plotting the Fermi-Dirac distribution function for different temperatures. Equations and attempts at solving the problems are also mentioned.
weds
hi guys I am quit confused n i have some problem that i really need some one 2 solve them and 4 me
the first prob

1. A one dimensional infinite potential well with a width of 12A contains an electron.
a. Calculate the first two energy levels that the electron may occupy
b. If an electron drops from the second energy level to the first, what is the
wavelength of a photon that might be emitted?2nd one

If the temperature is 300K, determine the number of energy states available in GaAs
between:
a. Ec and Ec+kT
b. Ev-kT and Evand the last one

Plot the function for Fermi-Dirac distribution for eV E E eV
F − 0.5 ≤ ( − ) ≤ 0.5 for:
a. T=200K
b. T=300K
c. T=400K
thanx

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hey weds, welcome to PF

why don’t you show the related equations, and show your attempt to solve these problems, we’ll then help you :smile:

oh i actually solve the first and the related equation 4 it is
• Total energy
h(square)x n(square)x π(square) / 2m a(square)...where a is the potential width which = 12x10(power of -10)
substitute the values and I've got the answers
answer: -13.58eV, -3.395eV, -1.51eV, -0.849eV]

for the next quastion the related equation is
• Density of state function in conduction band
g Ec =(4π(2m(power of 3/2)) /h(power 3))x((root of)E-Ec)

• Density of state function in valence band
g Ev =(4π(2m(power of 3/2)) /h(power 3))x((root of)E-Ev)bt i don't knw how to substitute the value from the problem to the equqtion

for the last prob
the related equation is
• Fermi-Dirac distribution function:
f ( E) =1/exp(E-Ef/kT)
thanx

1. What is the 1D infinite potential well?

The 1D infinite potential well is a theoretical model used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of a particle confined to a one-dimensional region with infinite potential barriers at either end. It is often used to study the energy levels and wavelengths of particles in a confined space.

2. How do you solve for energy levels in the 1D infinite potential well?

The energy levels in the 1D infinite potential well can be solved using the Schrödinger equation, which describes the wave function of a particle in a given potential. By solving this equation and applying boundary conditions, the energy levels and corresponding wavefunctions can be determined.

3. What is the significance of the energy levels in the 1D infinite potential well?

The energy levels in the 1D infinite potential well represent the allowed energy states of a particle confined to a one-dimensional region. These energy levels determine the behavior and properties of the particle, such as its wavelength and probability of being found in a certain location.

4. How do the energy levels in the 1D infinite potential well relate to the particle's wavelength?

The energy levels in the 1D infinite potential well are directly related to the particle's wavelength through the de Broglie wavelength equation, which states that the wavelength is inversely proportional to the particle's momentum. This means that the higher the energy level, the shorter the wavelength of the particle.

5. Can the 1D infinite potential well be applied to real-world situations?

The 1D infinite potential well is a simplified model used in theoretical physics and is not applicable to real-world situations. However, it can provide valuable insights into the behavior of particles in confined spaces and can be used to understand more complex systems.