Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I'm crying and suicidal. and a bit hungry

1. Aug 23, 2011 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

So I began grading my students first lab assignment. It was a 175 question math review going all the way from basic addition to logarithms and basic algebra and they had a week to do it.

First person was decent enough.

This second person makes me cry. MY STUDENTS CANT DO ARITHMETIC WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH :cry: :cry: :cry:

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Please, leave me alone. I don't want to speak to anyone ever again :cry: :cry: :cry:

Also, does anyone have a good recipe for a good lasagna?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2011 #2

wukunlin

Gold Member

awww, I know how you feel :(

4. Aug 23, 2011 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I feel your pain! I remember grading a homework assignment and concluding that forget physics, some of these kids cannot string a meaningful sentence together. Brutal.

(I ended up switching several of the exams to be multiple choice--just to give me a break when I graded them. Of course, my multiple choice questions were pretty tricky! :devil:)

5. Aug 23, 2011 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Ohhhh 3rd and 4th person sadfaced me too!!!

6. Aug 23, 2011 #5

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Welcome to the world of teaching.
    1% teaching physics, 99% teaching basic algebra.
    I share your pain.

It's still rewarding to see someone learn and enjoy it, even if it's only basic algebra. :smile:

7. Aug 23, 2011 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Teehee.

Guess what? They're all future teachers.

THAT'S RIGHT, YOUR CHILDREN'S TEACHERS CAN'T DO BASIC MATH.

Home schooling my lil penguins.

8. Aug 23, 2011 #7

wukunlin

Gold Member

so true, when I work as a TA, I spend most of the time showing people how to do algebraic rearrangements and trignometric identities

9. Aug 23, 2011 #8

rhody

Gold Member

Pengy,

Do any of your students:

A: Know you are a member of PF
    B: Know your ID

If yes, then tread carefully my flippered friend, some disgruntled student could use this post against you. I am semi serious here. Nothing you have said is inflamatory, but with people losing their jobs over their FB posts, you never know what will raise the ire of college administrators. Just a thought.

Rhody... :yuck:

10. Aug 23, 2011 #9

Borek

It would be interesting to see questions and - at least some - answers. I wonder how serious the problem is.

11. Aug 23, 2011 #10
    I thought you were teachign physics.

12. Aug 23, 2011 #11

Borek

That's Peng thought up to today as well.

13. Aug 23, 2011 #12
    Just fail them all and laugh at them when they cry leaving the classroom. My calculus teacher did that

14. Aug 23, 2011 #13

Pengwuino

Gold Member

God no, I'm not that dumb. I think. Honestly, some of my students during yesterdays lab didn't realize that the packet I gave them with the instructions on how to do the lab was.... well, in fact, instructions on how to do the lab. SIGH.

I'll put some up when I get back home :)

LAWLS D:

15. Aug 23, 2011 #14

turbo

Gold Member

Not good! It's really not good if your students can't master questions that can be easily tackled with algebra. Does your university actually have any entrance requirements or do they just want the tuition money?

16. Aug 23, 2011 #15
    If today's students scare you, you oughta meet some of today's graduates.

I recently conducted an online "discussion" with a man older than myself, and with more degrees than myself, on a matter of history, such that, had I been this guy's world history professor, I could easily imagine him asking me questions on the order of: "Did the Nazis build the Berlin Wall to keep Varius' Roman Legions out?".

In fact, there's one on-line discussion I've had with a woman who is known to me to be a Ph.D. candidate at a European university (I'm no victim of internet fraud here: I know her independently) whom I found impossible to enlighten as to the difference between public-sector employees and private-sector employees.

As I've said, if it's just your idiot students you're afraid of, you're totally over-optimistic!

17. Aug 23, 2011 #16
    Turbo:

Did Penguino say anything about his being an instructor at university level?

18. Aug 23, 2011 #17

Evo

His students are undergraduate university.

19. Aug 23, 2011 #18
    I have a GREAT lasagna recipe. But it is made of AVOCADO!

:devil:

20. Aug 23, 2011 #19

Evo

<PERK> Avocado? :!!)

21. Aug 23, 2011 #20
    Well, what is the answer? Don't just leave it dangling like that in suspense!!!:confused:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook