Calculating Artificial Gravity on Rotating Space Station: Finding rA, rB, and g

• Thread starter avenue
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Desperate
In summary, the conversation discusses how to create artificial gravity in a rotating space station. By using the equation g=v^2/r, a value for the radius of chamber A is found to be 519.777. However, there is a margin of error and it is recommended to not round the numbers too much. The conversation ends with a plea for help in solving the problem.
avenue
The question says...
To create artificial gravity, the space station shown in the drawing (THE DRAWING SHOWS THREE CHAMBERS, WITH THE TWO OUTER CHAMBERS BEING A'S AND THE MIDDLE BEING B) is rotating at a rate of 0.720 rpm. The radii of the cylindrically shaped chambers have the ratio rA/rB = 4.00. Each chamber A simulates an acceleration due to gravity of 5.70 m/s2. Find values for (a) rA, (b) rB, and (c) the acceleration due to gravity that is simulated in chamber B.
Here's what I've done so far..
mg=mv^2/r and m's cancel out
therefore g=v^2/r
5.70m/s2 = v^2/r(a)
(.720rev/min)*(2pi*r(a)/1rev)*(1min/60 sec) = 2pi*r(a)/60s which is m/s
Since 5.70m/s2 = v^2/r, 5.70= [(2pi*r(a)/60)^2]/r(a)
Anyway after solving for r(a),i get 519.777
That's incorrect. I can't continue until I get r(a). CAN SOMEBODY OUT THERE PLEASE HELP ME. I'M DESPERATE.

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you know it is incorrect?

If you are doing a web based system, you might try entering the number with the correct number of sig figs.

I've submitted the same problem with different numbers. I got it wrong. I only have one more try, with different numbers. I just worked it out the same with the new numbers and assumed it was wrong because I used the exact method.

You have a +/-2% margin of error on your answer - so i ususally just try to round as less as possible.

Can anybody out there help. I'm running out of time.

avenue said:
(.720rev/min)*(2pi*r(a)/1rev)*(1min/60 sec) = 2pi*r(a)/60s which is m/s
Since 5.70m/s2 = v^2/r, 5.70= [(2pi*r(a)/60)^2]/r(a)
It seems you dropped the 0.720 rev/min.

hmmm. i did drop that. Is that my only mistake? Did I work it out right?

help me somebody. I'm desperate

I believe that was your only mistake. I get (with 3 sigs) a VERY ROUND NUMBER as an answer for r(a).

1. Why might someone feel desperate for help?

There are many reasons why someone might feel desperate for help. Some common reasons include feeling overwhelmed by a problem or situation, experiencing intense emotions or distress, or feeling like they have exhausted all of their own resources and need outside support.

2. What are some signs that someone is desperate for help?

Some signs that someone might be desperate for help include consistently expressing feelings of hopelessness or helplessness, withdrawing from social interactions, engaging in risky behaviors, or exhibiting changes in mood or behavior.

3. What should I do if I think someone is desperate for help?

If you think someone is desperate for help, the first step is to reach out and offer your support. Let them know that you are there to listen and help in any way you can. It is also important to encourage them to seek professional help from a therapist or counselor.

4. How can I help someone who is desperate for help?

There are many ways to help someone who is desperate for help. Some ways to offer support include actively listening, providing resources or referrals to professional help, and offering practical assistance such as helping them find a therapist or attending appointments with them.

5. Is it normal to feel desperate for help?

Yes, it is completely normal to feel desperate for help at times. Everyone goes through difficult periods in their life where they may need extra support and guidance. Seeking help is a sign of strength and taking care of your mental health is important for overall well-being.