1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I'm don't know what to do for Masters

1. Sep 3, 2013 #1
    Hello,
    I have a B.Eng in Electrical engineering. I have covered courses in analog/power electronics, digital systems, control engineering, EM and transmission media, Analog/Digital/Data Communication, Information Theory, Computer/Microprocessor/Embedded, Machines/Power Systems systems along with the mathematics that comes along and also a few more.
    The problem is I am interested in all that I mentioned above with the exception of the power side of electrical engineering. So having finished 2 years ago I still have no idea what I want to do. The thing is I want to do something where I can maximize my talents and have a better career as a research engineer/inventor. What can I do ?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2013 #2
    Although I'm an amateur at this sort of stuff, this thread warrants a reply. So, here goes!
    It sounds like you'd be all for doing the tiny stuff; making better iPods, microchips, microcomputers, etc. Maybe look into graduate programs that are or related to Nanotechnology? Maybe with a focus on the design, so that you could perhaps go the inventing route. After that, I'm sure there would be a number of companies and agencies, both private and federal, that hire such individuals. I mean, heck, you could end up designing parts of the new smartphones! Or working for Apple or Microsoft or gaming companies, or really, a lot of options if you get creative. Then apply to a bunch of places, choose the best out of the ones that'd hire you, and bam! Career.

Oversimplified, probably, but I'm more optimistic about potential careers for you than myself. So, yeah.

/newbie, amateur advice out!

4. Sep 4, 2013 #3
    Actually I have applied for a scholarship program in Computational Physics and Nanotechnology. I hope they'll accept me. My fear though is that I'm from a third world country but I believe my theoretical studies is sound. I might need sometime to adapt to the use of new technology.

5. Sep 4, 2013 #4
    I hope you get in. Provided you do, see what the field is like, and if you're liking it, then keep on with it! If you end up not getting in, you can either try to get into other programs, or start the job search. Good luck!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook