Exploring Career Options for an Electrical Engineering Graduate

• Thread starter medwatt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Masters
In summary, the newbie is seeking advice on what to do with their interests after completing two years of undergraduate studies in electrical engineering. They are interested in all areas of electrical engineering, but are particularly interested in research and inventing. They hope to find a career in computational physics and nanotechnology, and have applied for a scholarship in this field.
medwatt
Hello,
I have a B.Eng in Electrical engineering. I have covered courses in analog/power electronics, digital systems, control engineering, EM and transmission media, Analog/Digital/Data Communication, Information Theory, Computer/Microprocessor/Embedded, Machines/Power Systems systems along with the mathematics that comes along and also a few more.
The problem is I am interested in all that I mentioned above with the exception of the power side of electrical engineering. So having finished 2 years ago I still have no idea what I want to do. The thing is I want to do something where I can maximize my talents and have a better career as a research engineer/inventor. What can I do ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Although I'm an amateur at this sort of stuff, this thread warrants a reply. So, here goes!
It sounds like you'd be all for doing the tiny stuff; making better iPods, microchips, microcomputers, etc. Maybe look into graduate programs that are or related to Nanotechnology? Maybe with a focus on the design, so that you could perhaps go the inventing route. After that, I'm sure there would be a number of companies and agencies, both private and federal, that hire such individuals. I mean, heck, you could end up designing parts of the new smartphones! Or working for Apple or Microsoft or gaming companies, or really, a lot of options if you get creative. Then apply to a bunch of places, choose the best out of the ones that'd hire you, and bam! Career.

Oversimplified, probably, but I'm more optimistic about potential careers for you than myself. So, yeah.

/newbie, amateur advice out!

Actually I have applied for a scholarship program in Computational Physics and Nanotechnology. I hope they'll accept me. My fear though is that I'm from a third world country but I believe my theoretical studies is sound. I might need sometime to adapt to the use of new technology.

I hope you get in. Provided you do, see what the field is like, and if you're liking it, then keep on with it! If you end up not getting in, you can either try to get into other programs, or start the job search. Good luck!

I understand the dilemma you are facing as an electrical engineering graduate. It can be overwhelming to have a wide range of interests within your field and not know which path to pursue. However, I want to assure you that your education and skills in electrical engineering have prepared you for a successful career in various industries.

One option you can consider is pursuing a career in research and development. With your background in analog and digital systems, control engineering, and computer/microprocessor/embedded systems, you have a strong foundation for conducting research and developing innovative technologies. You could work for a company or institution that focuses on developing new products or improving existing ones.

Another option is to explore opportunities in the field of telecommunications. Your knowledge in EM and transmission media, analog/digital/data communication, and information theory make you a valuable asset in this industry. You could work for telecommunication companies, developing and improving communication systems and networks.

Additionally, you could also consider a career in renewable energy. While you mentioned not being interested in the power side of electrical engineering, there are many opportunities in renewable energy that involve the use of electronics and control systems. You could work on designing and implementing renewable energy systems, such as solar panels or wind turbines.

Overall, my advice would be to explore different industries and job opportunities to find the one that aligns with your interests and goals. Networking and reaching out to professionals in your field can also provide valuable insights and potential job opportunities. Your talents and skills as an electrical engineering graduate are highly sought after and I am confident that with some exploration and determination, you will find a fulfilling career as a research engineer/inventor.

1. What are the different types of Masters degrees available?

There are several types of Masters degrees, including Master of Science (MS), Master of Arts (MA), Master of Business Administration (MBA), Master of Education (MEd), and Master of Fine Arts (MFA). Each type of degree focuses on a specific field of study and has its own set of requirements and coursework.

2. How do I choose the right Masters program for me?

When choosing a Masters program, it is important to consider your career goals, academic interests, and personal strengths. Research different programs, talk to current students and alumni, and consider factors such as program reputation, faculty expertise, and available resources.

3. Can I pursue a Masters degree in a different field than my undergraduate degree?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a Masters degree in a field that is different from your undergraduate degree. Many programs offer prerequisite courses to help students from different backgrounds catch up with the necessary knowledge and skills. It is important to research the specific requirements for each program you are interested in.

4. How long does it take to complete a Masters degree?

The length of a Masters program can vary depending on the type of degree and the specific program. On average, it takes 1-2 years to complete a full-time Masters program. Part-time and online programs may take longer to complete.

5. What are the benefits of pursuing a Masters degree?

Earning a Masters degree can lead to career advancement, higher salaries, and increased job opportunities. It also allows you to gain specialized knowledge and skills in a specific field, as well as network with professionals in your field of study.