Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I'm eating a muffin right now.

1. Yes, i love them

8 vote(s)
  2. No, I do not like them

0 vote(s)
  3. Meh... sometimes...

6 vote(s)
  1. Nov 29, 2005 #1

Gold Member

I'm eating a muffin right now... oh gawd its so delicious... i can't really explain the deliciousness of this muffin right now. Its banana nut.. mmmmm...
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2005 #2
    Within two seconds of reading your post, I have decided to immediatly go and synthesize some for myself, even if it is 3:40 in the the morning.

Back in half an hour or so.
  4. Nov 29, 2005 #3

Gold Member

I'd probably be a badass cook if i had like, a kitchen setup as a lab....
  5. Nov 29, 2005 #4
    Yeah it'd be like, we're out of bananas? No big deal, I'll just synthesize some pentyl ethanoate and substitute.

(by the way - I am in fact out of bananas. I ate too many yesterday, I'll have to make muffins with something else. Maybe shredded apple or carrot.)
  6. Nov 29, 2005 #5

Gold Member

Oh. This answers all of my questions. :surprised
  7. Nov 29, 2005 #6
    Almost done baking... volatile organic compounds (of the good-smelling kind) diffuse through the air, in a thermal way.
  8. Nov 29, 2005 #7
    No, the insides are still sticky. Another three minutes to wait.
  9. Nov 29, 2005 #8
    I used fifteen different ingredients, including shredded carrots and apples, and three kinds of grains.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2005
  10. Nov 29, 2005 #9
    They're out of the oven!
  11. Nov 29, 2005 #10
    And what is that supposed to mean?
  12. Nov 29, 2005 #11

Gold Member

Share hte recipes if any of them come out really good :D
  13. Nov 29, 2005 #12
    The any fruit muffin mix

2 c. plain flour
    1/2 c. sugar
    1 tbsp. double action baking powder
    1/2 tsp. Salt
    1 egg
    1 c. milk
    1/4 c. salad oil

Mix. Add 3/4 to 1 cup of any kind of fruit/ nut mixture. Stir. Grease muffin pan, fill 2/3's full. Bake 400 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes.

You can easily cut this reciepe in half, to not make as much.
  14. Nov 29, 2005 #13
    I used a recipe on the back of a box of flaxseed. It's a basic muffic recipe, except you add flaxseed. I used apples and carrots, shredded, and random ingredients I thought looked interesting (almond extract, lemon juice, nutmeg).

375mL flour (250ml = 1 cup)
    125mL oat bran (I substitute rolled oats)
    125mL flaxseed
    200mL (I think?) brown sugar
    250mL apple, shredded (two small apples or one large)
    250mL carrot, shredded (almost two)
    2 tsp. baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
    1 tsp. baking powder (calcium phosphate, starch)
    2 eggs
    175mL milk
    1 tsp extracts of vanilla
    some quantity of almond extracts (I don't know, I sort of spilled it...)
    lemon juice (to neutralize the excess baking soda I spilled)
  15. Nov 29, 2005 #14

Gold Member

I voted for 'love them', but must qualify that. I occassionally like to buy a box of jumbleberry or chocolate chip ones from the local store. They're quite large (about like a standard grapefruit), and great while fresh. If I had to eat a homemade one, I'd go with Hypatia's recipe. The other one has all of that health-food junk that wrecks the experience. (I might get homemade ones now, though, since the not-wife likes to cook and is very good at it.)
  16. Nov 29, 2005 #15

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You don't have bananas, but you have flaxseed in your kitchen? :uhh:
  17. Nov 29, 2005 #16
    I was out of bananas. Normally there are several dozen stacked up, then they disappear in a few days. Hours, if there's an exam coming up.
  18. Nov 29, 2005 #17
    That's what confuses me about Americanized culture, the only foods are peanut oil and high-fructose corn syrup. Something as basic as oats or apples is a radical idea. No one could possibly eat something like that, right? Must be a health-food fad. Yup. :rolleyes:
  19. Nov 29, 2005 #18
    you could make zucchini muffins then, oh you are out of those too? how about carrot cake muffins then, they are not o...oh no carrots either? hmmm
  20. Nov 29, 2005 #19
    Poppy seed muffins the best. Probably because of the morphine. :tongue:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?